An idea generator understands global issues and wants to debate them. They are curiously intellectual, highly collaborative and good at communicating. A design researcher works as part of a multidisciplinary team to identify needs and requirements, define strategy and solve problems for clients.
Responsibilities would include; innovative planning, designing and conducting research activities including ethnographic interviews, competitive analysis, organizational research and usability testing, analyzing results and synthesizing research findings into design requirements and goals and communicating insights from research to clients to ensure potential design solutions are provided for identified businesses and individual users alike.
Employment would be found in established design studios, corporate environments and as a freelance consultant dealing with ideation projects and developmental initiatives.
- Consumables cost 1st year (+-R1000) **estimates only
- Continuous project-based assessment
- Digital and print portfolio submissions in 2nd and 3rd year
- Final years graduate in December
- Degree candidates can go on to apply for postgraduate studies pending they meet the application and entrance requirements of the relevant Institution.
- Our programmes are quality assured and standardized across all Inscape campuses nationally.
- You can enroll for our Bachelor of Design programme at any campus to complete your 1st year.
- Students who are accepted into certain degree specialization programmes might be required to complete their 2nd and 3rd-year studies at another specialized Inscape campus.
What is included in the course
- MacBook * optional
- Wacom tablet
- Software licenses (as per programme requirements)
- Prescribed textbooks
- 1st-year preliminary art equipment
- Online library subscription
- Digital study guides and courseware
- Internet connectivity
- Monthly consumables
- Digital camera
Course Information Year 1
FUNDAMENTAL DESIGN 1st year – DESIGN SKILLS
- Developing fundamental design skills to create design savvy, critical thinkers.
- Developing foundational Drawing Skills, Basic Material and Manufacturing awareness, Digital Image Making, Communication, Software and Leadership skills to create well-rounded designers fit for any design industry.
- Developing an awareness of the integrated nature of design, advancing the unique thinking of our students.
- Introducing an appreciation for Design History.
- Establishing fundamental building blocks for creative problem-solving.
Course Information Year 2
DISCIPLINE-SPECIFIC 2nd year – DESIGN KNOWLEDGE
- Discipline Specific knowledge will be enhanced by studying human-centered design, information design and social studies focusing especially on social change and innovation. Ideation methodologies such as scientific method; principles of innovation; Liedtka’s 4 stage cycle and generating, developing and testing ideas will secure a solid foundation in ideation. Further research in functional design and cultural studies including cultural interpretation will be covered.
- Applying theory to practice through an understanding of human behavior studies including consumer behavior, emotional intelligence, and group dynamics. Application of ideation methodologies, processes, techniques, and structures will secure design thinking, critical thinking and system analysis processes. Ideation also concentrates on data science, data analysis, and research. Synthesis of information is key and project planning including elements of work ethic, decision making, continuous learning, roles and responsibility and following instructions are essential skills that will be developed. Knowledge management, as well as aspects of prototyping, are covered.
- Advancing software skills and technical knowledge through a thorough course in Visual Presentations using software programmes that promote verbal presentation skills. Equipping candidates with basic data capturing programmes and graphic communication through the means of infographic creation and video production software programmes. Data retrieval through Managing Workshops is an essential ideation tool.
- Developing an understanding of the business of design through the awareness of specialized business studies covering the modern society and economy, modern business contexts, business in society, various business models and performance. Further studies in organizational design, architecture and culture will prepare for relevant and current business conditions assisting the candidates to implement change management effectively.
Course Information Year 3
SPECIALISATION 3rd year – DESIGN STYLE
- Developing a signature ideation style by understanding transformative design, design management, and strategic management. Idea generators will develop the ability to practice contextual thinking, interdisciplinary thinking, and articulate worldviews. Further studies in analysis and inductive analytics will secure their innovative thinking abilities.
- Developing advanced knowledge and expert skills by forming a basic awareness and understanding of industrial psychology, globalization, social studies, social impact, and socio-economics. Employing data sciences through data visualization will assist in effective communication. The topics of business intelligence, product design and implementation, service design and implementation and strategic innovation strategies will be explored further.
- Awareness of the latest design technologies and innovations through practice in software assisting in data capturing through advanced data capturing skills and survey software assisting with analytical data capturing and visualization.
- Developing an understanding of the guidelines and principles involved in running a design business. Promoting business vision, mission and values give graduates the confidence and ‘know-how’ to start their own design initiatives based on a foundational knowledge of strategic development, marketing strategies, the importance of branding and managing finances.
More about the bachelor of Design Degree (B.DES)
This three-year full-time qualification produces professional designers equipped for a rewarding career in design. Students qualifying can practice as junior designers or study towards an Honours Degree. As this qualification is universal, it applies to a variety of design disciplines, including fashion design, interior design, graphic design, multimedia design, jewelry design, industrial design, product design, spatial design, design research, design writing and design for the environment.
Traditionally, the various fields within design and design education have been separated. Public and private Higher Education schools have offered all sorts of qualifications. Our Bachelor of Design qualification aligns industry standards and educates designers following common guidelines. It also implements the long-awaited minimum standards for designers of all disciplines.
The design is globally recognized as a profession. Worldwide, designers are required to have at least a three-year qualification. Inscape offers the Bachelor of Design Degree with common competencies and specializations through elective subjects.
The first year of the Bachelor of Design provides a foundation in design thinking, constructs and visual communication, photography, material studies, image making and design history, communication studies, leadership and unique thinking and software include basics in Adobe products. We love that our students learn alongside aspiring designers of other disciplines. This kind of exposure blows a student’s design perspective wide open and teaches relevance and appropriateness in terms of design solutions within the business world.
At the end of the first year, students are required to select their chosen stream as a specialization of their future career choice. Our students love the fact that they have a full year to become fully entrenched in the world of design. They attest to the fact that when they make their final decision regarding a chosen specialization that they do so with confidence and fully informed.
Second and third year are intense. Each specialization stream is packed with knowledge and technical skill required of the respective discipline. Our students, however, are well prepared in the first year and enter into the senior years equipped with the ability to think critically and apply themselves effectively. Our success rates are a testimony to the fact that our unique approach to teaching design, works.
About the School
Inscape believes in offering value driven products to ensure the diverse growth of the creative sector and industry at large. We have an established institutional culture that is unique to Inscape and ... Read More