Sustainability and Green Design are no longer a trend. These concepts have become part of your daily lives, and form an ever-growing and vital market within architecture and the built environment. Our ‘Environmental Design’ degree focuses students on becoming a pioneering specialist in the field of sustainability. They experience designing sustainable buildings and planning ‘green’ spaces, learning about the implementation of the latest technologies and materials, as well as ‘green’ construction accreditation and environmental awareness.
THINGS THAT EXCITE ME: Sustainable design, Architecture, New Technology & ‘Green’ Materials, Inclusive Design, Nature and Preservation, Inspired to save the world!
- Consumables cost 1st year (+-R1000) **estimates only
- Continuous project-based assessment
- Digital and print portfolio submissions in 2nd and 3rd year
- Final years graduate in December
- Degree candidates can go on to apply for post-graduate studies pending they meet the application and entrance requirements of the relevant Institution.
- Our programmes are quality assured and standardized across all Inscape campuses nationally.
- You can enroll in our Bachelor of Design programme at any campus to complete your 1st year.
- Students who are accepted into certain degree specialization programmes might be required to complete their 2nd and 3rd-year studies at another specialized Inscape campus.
Course Information Year 1
- Developing fundamental design skills to create design savvy, critical thinkers.
- Developing foundational Drawing Skills, Basic Material and Manufacturing awareness, Digital Image Making, Communication,
- Software and Leadership skills to create well-rounded designers fit for any design industry.
- Developing an awareness of the integrated nature of design, advancing the unique thinking of our students.
- Introducing an appreciation for Design History.
- Establishing fundamental building blocks for creative problem-solving.
Course Information Year 2 and Year 3
Discipline Specific knowledge will be developed through understanding specially designed briefs relating to Environmental Design and the implementation thereof in Architecture, Urban and Interior Design. Students apply theory to practice through an introduction into basic technical drawing conventions, alternative and green construction techniques, site analysis and measurements, technical services, energy efficient lighting, electrical and plumbing requirements, and how to communicate through drawings and specifications.
Students apply theory to practice through an introduction into basic technical drawing conventions, alternative and green construction techniques, site analysis and measurements, technical services, energy efficient lighting, electrical and plumbing requirements, and how to communicate through drawings and specifications.
Knowledge of the theory of sustainable materials, including their properties and the manufacturing process of the products, an introduction to national building regulations within South Africa, and how this relates to ‘green-star’ building accreditation and environmental awareness.
Advancing software skills and technical knowledge through an introduction to AutoCAD Basics, Photoshop Rendering, and REVIT Modelling.
Students develop an understanding of the ‘business of design’ through the awareness of project management, plotting, and lifecycle, feasibility studies, the scope of work management, breakdown structures, and time management, as well as an understanding of the guidelines and principles involved in running a green-design business.
About the School
Inscape believes in offering value driven products to ensure the diverse growth of the creative sector and industry at large. We have an established institutional culture that is unique to Inscape and ... Read More