Audio Visual Design students fuse powerful visual messages through the conceptual and technical blending of sound and motion design. Topics covered throughout the course include Digital multimedia production; motion design and storytelling; narratology; creative, corporate and commercial videography; music and acoustic fundamental theory; sound design and audio editing; music and motion in society and professional media practice. Students will be taught to work across a wide spectrum of audio and visual editing hardware and software tools. Solid technical skills coupled with a firm grounding in human psychology/viewer behavior and the production industry will allow graduates entry into versatile fields within the creative and corporate sectors.
- Consumables cost 1st year (+-R1000) **estimates only
- Continuous project-based assessment
- Digital and print portfolio submissions in 2nd and 3rd year
- Final years graduate in December
- Degree candidates can go on to apply for postgraduate studies pending they meet the application and entrance requirements of the relevant Institution.
- Our programmes are quality assured and standardized across all Inscape campuses nationally.
- You can enroll in our Bachelor of Design programme at any campus to complete your 1st year.
- Students who are accepted into certain degree specialization programmes might be required to complete their 2nd and 3rd-year studies at another specialized Inscape campus.
What is included in the course
- MacBook * optional
- Wacom tablet
- Software licenses (as per programme requirements)
- Prescribed textbooks
- 1st-year preliminary art equipment
- Online library subscription
- Digital study guides and courseware
- Internet connectivity
- Monthly consumables
- Digital camera
Course Information Year 1
FUNDAMENTAL DESIGN 1st year – DESIGN SKILLS
- Developing fundamental design skills to create design savvy, critical thinkers.
- Developing foundational Drawing Skills, Basic Material and Manufacturing awareness, Digital Image Making, Communication, Software
- and Leadership skills to create well-rounded designers fit for any design industry.
- Developing an awareness of the integrated nature of design, advancing the unique thinking of our students.
- Introducing an appreciation for Design History.
- Establishing fundamental building blocks for creative problem-solving.
Course Information Year 2
DISCIPLINE-SPECIFIC 2nd year – DESIGN KNOWLEDGE
- Developing Discipline Specific knowledge through sound and audio-visual integration by exploring the fundamentals of communication and development in digital multimedia production skills, motion design/graphics skills and audiovisual storytelling.
- Applying theory to practice through progressive audio and visual technical skills including form and motion, video technology, narratology, camera techniques, film editing, audio engineering, sound design, and editing.
- Advancing software skills and technical knowledge through software programmes that focus on digital visual effects, editing abilities, visual manipulation and practicing post-production processes.
- Developing an understanding of the business of design by addressing audio-visual proficiencies such as Live sound, broadcasting, music in society, professional multimedia practice and media studies.
Course Information Year 3
SPECIALISATION 3rd year – DESIGN STYLE
- Developing a signature audiovisual design style by experimenting with screenplays, 3D animation for film and television and special effects.
- Developing advanced knowledge and expert skills in principles and workflow of 3D animation, corporate and commercial videography, sociology of music, music technology and audio mixing.
- Awareness of the latest design technologies and innovations through practice in software programmes that explore modeling, animation and more advanced rendering techniques.
- Developing an understanding of the guidelines and principles involved in running a design business. Promoting business vision, mission and values give graduates the confidence and ‘know-how’ to start their own design initiatives based in a foundational knowledge of strategic development, marketing strategies, the importance of branding and managing finances.
More about the bachelor of Design Degree (B.DES)
This three-year full-time qualification produces professional designers equipped for a rewarding career in design. Students qualifying can practice as junior designers or study towards an Honours Degree. As this qualification is universal, it applies to a variety of design disciplines, including fashion design, interior design, graphic design, multimedia design, jewelry design, industrial design, product design, spatial design, design research, design writing and design for the environment.
Traditionally, the various fields within design and design education have been separated. Public and private Higher Education schools have offered all sorts of qualifications. Our Bachelor of Design qualification aligns industry standards and educates designers following common guidelines. It also implements the long-awaited minimum standards for designers of all disciplines.
The design is globally recognized as a profession. Worldwide, designers are required to have at least a three-year qualification. Inscape offers the Bachelor of Design Degree with common competencies and specializations through elective subjects.
The first year of the Bachelor of Design provides a foundation in design thinking, constructs and visual communication, photography, material studies, image making and design history, communication studies, leadership and unique thinking and software include basics in Adobe products. We love that our students learn alongside aspiring designers of other disciplines. This kind of exposure blows a student’s design perspective wide open and teaches relevance and appropriateness in terms of design solutions within the business world.
At the end of the first year, students are required to select their chosen stream as a specialization of their future career choice. Our students love the fact that they have a full year to become fully entrenched in the world of design. They attest to the fact that when they make their final decision regarding a chosen specialization that they do so with confidence and fully informed.
Second and third year are intense. Each specialization stream is packed with knowledge and technical skill required of the respective discipline. Our students, however, are well prepared in the first year and enter into the senior years equipped with the ability to think critically and apply themselves effectively. Our success rates are a testimony to the fact that our unique approach to teaching design, works.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 21, 2018