The approach of the Interior Design course is based on a concern for human beings and the creation of interior settings that support human activities and values. The focus of the program is to generate awareness on the functional and aesthetic qualities of the design.
The Interior Designing course lays emphasis on the fundamentals of design, residential and non-residential space planning, as well as aesthetic and functional elements. This helps in the creation of an interior space, the elements of which define the quality and aesthetic taste of the designer. The designer himself is influenced by external factors and implements various techniques of construction and presentation coupled with the fundamentals of business practice. The program lays focus on the consumer/user perspective, which provides the foundation for the interior design coursework and practical experience. The students are exposed to every facet of interior design in conjunction with a strong business foundation.
The Bachelor of Interior Design program has 163 required credits spanning four years.
The First Year provides a foundation in art, design theory, drafting, computer graphics & basic applications and enhancement of creative skills. The Second Year emphasizes technical skills including rendering, construction techniques, specifications & quantities, computer-aided design and space planning.
The Third Year prepares the students for the work-place through specialized and research-oriented subjects like design dissertation, design and project management, professional practice and preparing design portfolios.The fourth-year prepares the students for advanced technological skills needed for specialty interior typologies through Design thesis, Electives, and Professional training.
The Program offers two specializations in the Third Year
- Business Management
- Product Design
- To analyze the client’s needs, goals and safety requirements to integrate the findings with the knowledge of interior design.
- Formulate preliminary design concepts that are appropriate, functional and aesthetic.
- Develop and present final design recommendations through appropriate presentation media.
- Prepare working drawings and specifications for non-load-bearing interior construction, materials, finishes, space planning, furnishings, fixtures, and equipment.
- Collaborate with licensed practitioners who offer professional services in the technical areas of mechanical, electrical and load-bearing design as required for regulatory approval.
- Prepare and administer bids and contract documents to the clients’ agents.
- Review and evaluate design solutions during implementation and upon completion.
- To master the specialized ( Elective courses), appropriate to the career objectives of the students.
- Introduction to the field of research and writing a thesis/ dissertation describing their theoretical research work.
- To ensure and implement a definite plan for the individual design typology chosen by the student.
On graduation, the candidate can qualify for a variety of jobs such as:
- Interior Designer / Consultant for Residential and Commercial Design
- Facilities Manager and Facility Developer, Event Manager
- Space planner
- Designer in department stores and retail outlets
- Product Designer in lighting and furnishings
- Sales Person in Real Estate Marketing
- Specialized Designer / Consultant for Furniture Design & Interior utilities
A student opting to discontinue B.Des. (ID) at the three year level would have to complete professional training at the end of the fourth semester to be eligible to be awarded B.A. (ID).
A student opting for B.Des. (ID) would have to complete professional training in the eighth semester.
- Admission to the above programs is open to students who have passed the qualifying 10+2 examination or its equivalent from a recognized board with at least 50% aggregate marks.
Note: Adequate proficiency in English is a must for all programs.
About the School
Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Dubai Campus is a branch campus of MAHE (Deemed to be University), Manipal India with over 64 years legacy; 400,000+ Alumni & the largest private deemed to be ... Read More