LaSalle College Vancouver’s Bachelor of Design in Graphic Design prepares students for a creatively fulfilling and rewarding career as a visual storyteller. Students receive hands-on training in a state-of-the-art learning environment with instruction from top graphic designers.
Our specific objectives are to provide students the following:
- Competencies in a program emphasizing strong theoretical and practical knowledge necessary for graduates to seek entry-level employment;
- A hands-on, learning-centred educational environment that supports and enhances students’ professional and academic development as designers;
- Targeted preparation and training for entry-level employment opportunities within the design field;
- Access to appropriately credentialed faculty with extensive industry experience.
This program consists of 180 credits over 11 quarters.
- Fundamentals of Design
- Colour Theory
- Digital Imaging
- Fundamentals of Sustainable Design
- Graphic Stylization and Symbols
- Concept Development
- Digital Illustration
- Advanced Typography
- Digital Imaging II
- Electronic Design
- Principles of Sustainable Design
- Sustainable Design Standards
- Green Campaign
- Production Procedures
- Corporate Identity
- Experimental Typography
- Design and Technology
- Sustainable Design Leadership
- Art Direction
- Conceptual Illustration
- Foundations of Electronic Production
- Copywriting for Electronic Media
- Digital Photography
- Portfolio I
- Senior Research Thesis
- Environmental Design
- Dimensional Design
- Senior Project
- Publication Design
- Information Design
- Public Relations and Marketing
- Senior Portfolio
- Media Business Law and Communication
- Web Site Development I
- Computer Animation for Multimedia
- Intermediate Interactive Web Scripting
- Introduction to Scripting Languages
- Advanced Web Site Development
- Speech Communications
- Rhetoric and Composition
- Academic Writing
- Critical Thinking
- History of Art in Early Civilizations
- History and Analysis of Design
- Fundamentals of Sociology
- World Civilization
- Introduction to Political Science
- Fundamentals of Psychology
- Cultural Theory
- General Education Elective
Alumni have taken a range of career paths, including specializing in web design, freelancing, designing for film and TV, and working for large corporations and small companies. Magazines, newspapers, advertising agencies, publishing houses, engineering companies, real estate developers, packaging, and web development companies all require graphic designers.
This Degree is offered under the written consent of the Minister of Advanced Education, Skills & Training. This program does not require approval by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB).”.
- The BDes prepares students for a career in visual communication design
- Hands-on training by graphic designers who work in the field
- Build a portfolio to showcase work
- Innovative programming in a state-of-the-art environment
- Program consists of 180 credits over 12 quarters
- Students have the opportunity to choose studio electives to provide depth and breadth in their areas of interest
- Graduating students receive a bachelor’s degree
Graphic design students refine their technique in a creative learning environment that fosters ingenuity and risk-taking. LaSalle College Vancouver provides practical instruction that students use throughout their professional life. Graduates possess a knowledge of design and sustainable fundamentals, as well as an understanding of core values, emerging trends and discipline challenges.
- Strong theoretical and practical knowledge with a focus on digital graphic design.
- To master the basics in areas like colour, illustration, image manipulation and explore concept development.
- First-hand knowledge of product packaging, posters, art direction and branding.
- To provide solutions in a global and competitive context, as well as acquire an entrepreneurial vision.
- Preparation and training allowing students to seek employment within the design field.
- How to influence and lead design innovation within a dynamic, evolving field.
Who Should Apply ?
Students directly out of high school, or mature students who are ready for a career change or to build on the skills they have.
- Creatives with a strong focus on design
- Interested in art and technology
- Eager to learn new techniques related to communication design
- Computer savvy and familiar with various programs
- Those who value merging creative endeavours with practical applications for an exciting career
About the School
Located at the bottom of the west coastal mountains, LaSalle College Vancouver has welcomed students from around the world. LaSalle College Vancouver is an award winning higher education provider offe ... Read More