A Bachelor of Design Arts (Visual Arts) at LCI Melbourne provides a unique opportunity to explore and express your creativity, collaborate with like-minded creatives, and network with industry leaders.
- Understand approaches to art in materials and process
- Foundation skills in life and observational drawing
- Advanced knowledge of national and international artists and their practice
- Build industry contacts via professional placement and international exchange opportunities
- Enhance creative skills via a sub-major from either the Filmmaking & Photography stream or one of the other creative disciplines.
MAJOR STUDY UNITS
- Exposure to tools, mediums and visual art language
- Strategies towards development of art language
- Exploration of diverse art practice and critical voice
- Developing a studio practice
- Self-directed art practice
- Advanced studio practice
- The contemporary art environment
- Exhibition production
To be considered for admission, applicants are generally required to have successfully completed their VCE or equivalent. Mature-aged applicants who have attained sufficient industry experience will also be considered. If you are a domestic student aged under 18 you can enrol at LCI Melbourne but you will need your parent or guardian's consent. Unfortunately we are unable to enrol international students under the age of 18.
PROSPECTIVE STUDENT PROFILE
- Creative students
- Excellent communication skills
- Innovative thinker
LCI Melbourne graduates who have a Bachelor of Design Arts (Visual Arts) work as exhibiting artists, commercial illustrators, teachers and gallery assistants. With a complementary sub-major such as Graphic & Digital Design, Fashion & Costume Design or Filmmaking and Photography, many also work as graphic designers, animators, and fashion illustrators.
The Professional Studies units of the Bachelor of Design Arts ensure students secure industry placements to enhance their skills and experience - giving them an edge when they graduate. Work experience in the design industry can include placements at Arts Festivals, Artist Run Spaces, Commercial Galleries, Teaching support at Primary and Secondary Schools, Artist Assistant, and Project Officer for Community Arts Schemes.
CLASS SIZE & FACILITIES
- Small classes. Generally no more than 18.
- State of the art facilities, including dedicated studio spaces.
Bachelor of Design Arts (Visual Arts)
During Orientation the Academy will provide you with a detailed list of the required materials for the program.
The Bachelor of Design Arts can be completed over 3 years full-time (10 units per academic year) or 2 years fast-tracked full-time (15 units per academic year). Part-time study is also available. An academic year is divided into three twelve week study periods, called ‘trimesters’.
80% project work (including practical work, essays, presentations and group assignments) and 20% test.
BE A STUDENT FOR A DAY
Come spend the day with our students and teachers! This is a unique opportunity to help you make a better choice. It’s free of charge and with no future obligations.
About the School
LCI Melbourne, formerly known as the Academy of Design Australia, is a government-approved degree-awarding higher education institution educating students to become adaptable and creative thinkers