Fashion design, Industrial design, Photography, Spatial design, Textile design, Visual Communication design: study it all in Wellington, New Zealand. Massey’s College of Creative Arts is the only university in Australasia to be ranked by the global Red Dot design agency and the US National Association of Schools of Art and Design.
Core studio courses
You must enroll in four. Each course runs for an intensive six weeks. Your options are:
- 198.157 Object (required for Industrial Design major)
- 212.157 Dress (required for Fashion Design major)
- 213.157 Art Lab (either this or Art Place, required for BFA)
- 213.158 Art Place (either this or Art Lab, required for BFA)
- 221.157 Lens (required for Photography major)
- 222.157 Screen (either this, or Type, required for Visual Communication Design major)
- 222.158 Type (either this, or Screen, required for Visual Communication Design major)
- 223.157 Material (required for Textile Design major)
- 224.157 Space (required for Spatial Design major)
Critical & Contextual Studies courses
These are compulsory. You must enroll in both:
- 237.130 Communication in Creative Cultures
- 237.131 Conversations in Creative Cultures
Your choice of two courses from a wide range, covering topics in art, design, creative media, creative writing, expressive arts, business, marketing, communication and beyond.
Bachelor of Design with Honours structure
The Bachelor of Design with Honours is the best preparation for becoming a well-rounded designer, whatever your chosen field of practice. Regardless of what major you choose, your degree has the same basic structure:
Year One: fundamental design skills & principles
- Studio courses in different design/art disciplines (your choice of 4, totalling 60 credits) + theory (30 credits) + electives (30 credits)
Year Two: focus on techniques, skills, processes in your Major and important issues in design
- Studio in your Major (60 credits) + theory/enterprise (30 credits) + electives (30 credits).
Year Three: increasing collaboration across Majors
- Studio (60 credits) + theory/enterprise (30 credits) + electives. (30 credits).
Year Four: design research & development project
- Studio (75 credits) + an externally focused course (15 credits) + electives (30 credits).
We are looking for creative, enthusiastic and dedicated students who demonstrate skill and passion for design and the visual arts. There are no required school subjects, but students who do well in NCEA Level 2 art, design or technology (or equivalent) may get automatic entry without having to submit a portfolio. The requirements for automatic entry are NCEA Level 2 with Excellence, including an excellence endorsement in an approved art, design or technology subject.
Entry is confirmed once you have achieved University Entrance, including 14 credits in an approved art, design or technology subject at Level 3.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 3, 2018