Accounting is the language of business. The Bachelor of Commerce in Accounting prepares you for many careers in the challenging world of accounting and finance and is an excellent foundation for work in any area of business.
Our qualification is broad and comprehensive. It provides you with a sound understanding of, and skills in, the core areas of accounting, auditing, taxation and financial management, from both a local and an international perspective. You will cover specialized modules such as Financial Accounting, Financial Management, Auditing, Taxation and Corporate Governance. Within these subject areas, you will develop analytical and practical skills in accounting and management control systems. You will also cover subject areas such as Business English, Computer Skills, Accounting on Computers, Economics and Corporate Law. The emphasis throughout is on the application and developing practical quantitative and financial skills.
Much of the success of our commerce degree is due to our unique blended approach to teaching and learning. We have smaller class sizes, interactive lectures by highly dedicated staff and a curriculum that is relevant and ahead of trends. In addition to the subject-specific knowledge you gain, our methods ensure that you acquire essential work skills such as critical and analytical thinking, effective problem solving, ethical decision-making, self-discipline, working in teams and communicating effectively.
This degree paves the way to further training as a professional accountant.
Teaching methods and assessment
- We use a blend of lecture-led learning and Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL).
- You are issued with a tablet for learning and research.
- Our smaller class sizes allow for individualized attention.
- Our teaching staff is a mix of full-time academics and working professionals to ensure you benefit from quality academic and industry-specific inputs.
- You have access to campus resource centers, computer labs, and WiFi.
- Throughout the degree, you have to demonstrate a theoretical and practical understanding of accounting practices and methodologies via written examinations, presentations, case studies, and projects. These application-based projects and assessments ensure relevant industry experience and further prepare you for the world of work.
- Business English
- Business Law
- Business Management 1A
- Business Management 1B
- Computer Skills
- Economics 1A
- Economics 1B
- Financial Accounting 1A
- Financial Accounting 1B
- Quantitative Techniques
- Accounting for Computers
- Auditing 2A
- Auditing 2B
- Corporate Law
- Financial Accounting 2A
- Financial Accounting 2B
- Management Accounting 2A
- Management Accounting 2B
- Taxation 2A
- Taxation 2B
- Auditing 3
- Corporate Governance
- Financial Accounting 3
- Financial Management 3
- Taxation 3
- You need a South African National Senior Certificate (NSC) for degree purposes, with Mathematics in Grade 12 with at least 50%.
- Or if you have an international school-leaving certificate, you need to qualify for matric exemption from the Matriculation Board. Pearson Institute will assist with your exemption application to the Board for evaluation.
- Or you need to have successfully completed the relevant Foundation Programme.
- And you need at least 25 Pearson Institute admission points.
- Accredited by the South African Higher Education Quality Committee (HEQC) of the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
- Registered with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
- Fully accredited by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) (UK). As a graduate of this degree, you may apply for the exemption for all ACCA fundamental-level modules (F1 - F9), you may proceed to the ACCA postgraduate degree and become a Chartered Certified Accountant.
- Recognised by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA). As a graduate of this degree, you will be exempted from seven CIMA module exams as from 2016.
The career choices for you, as a Bachelor of Commerce in Accounting graduate, are varied and employment options include:
- Accounting: Chartered, financial, cost and management
- Financial management
- Tax consulting
February or July (Selected modules)
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 3, 2018