Management Studies At Its Very Best
This degree program prepares students for a variety of managerial roles in a wide range of Canadian businesses including small and medium enterprises (SMEs). They will have the potential to be promoted to mid-level management positions within 5 to 10 years. Students could also pursue graduate management studies or may continue their postgraduate education within an industry designation program of their choosing.
Humber’s Bachelor of Commerce – Management Studies degree program is a four-year program that prepares you to take on a variety of managerial roles in many different types of business.
The program is based on the seven traditional management functions (planning, organizing, staffing, directing, coordinating, reporting and budgeting) and gives you the necessary skills and knowledge to:
- develop business strategies
- analyze issues from various perspectives
- apply classroom work to industry-connected projects
- integrate transferable skills such as interpersonal interaction, communication, and organization to all classroom and project work.
In the first two years of the program, you’ll study introductory courses in business fundamentals such as marketing, accounting, economics, and law. In years three and four, you’ll take advanced courses covering all seven management functions, along with business research methods and strategic management.
You’ll also get hands-on learning that provides both the education and the experience employers look for once you graduate. You’ll be taught by professors who are widely known for their real-world connections and background. Our industry-designed, project-based curriculum gives you the opportunity to take your ideas from concept to execution.
In your final year, you will complete a senior-level project, giving you the opportunity to work on a team, problem solve, evaluate strengths and limitations, gather and synthesize data, and make appropriate decisions.
What You Will Learn
Common Platform Years 1 and 2
This program is one of eleven Bachelor of Commerce degrees built on a common two-year platform of business studies that gives students the time to decide their specialty. In years one and two, students learn the fundamentals of business, including accounting, business law, information systems, e-commerce, financial management, HR management, and marketing. At the end of year two, students make their decision and spend their final two years specializing in their chosen business field. See all degrees on the common platform >
Curriculum Highlights (Specialization Years 3 and 4)
- Enterprise Resource Planning and Business Processes
- Performance Management
- Strategic Management
- Corporate Finance
A senior-level business project in the last year of the program allows students to problem solve in a real-world, team-based environment. As they develop business/management strategies, students will be required to assess traditional and new approaches to solving your issue, evaluate the strengths and limitations of each approach, gather and synthesize research data, and make appropriate decisions. All projects integrate material covered in class.
Gain Practical Skills
- Develop the ability to create sound business strategies
- Draw on a range of disciplines to prepare students to analyze issues from a number of perspectives
- Link project work to industry
- Include a mandatory work placement to give students critical work experience
- Integrate employability skills (e.g., interpersonal, communications and organizational skills) across the curriculum
One full semester of paid work, for 14 weeks/490 hours, in the summer between semesters six and seven, giving you the hands-on experience that employers value. Students find their placements, giving them the opportunity to work in the field they want to work in once they graduate. Humber works with employers and our industry partners to identify opportunities for students to pursue.
Our Faculty are Experts
Our experienced faculty is widely known for their industry connections and ability to bring their experience and real-world knowledge to the classroom. Students will learn from management specialists using applied projects and case studies to develop their analytical skills while learning core business concepts and managerial strategies.
In every industry and every sector, there is a demand for qualified, effective managers – and that demand is growing. As a graduate of Humber’s Bachelor of Commerce – Management Studies degree program, your excellent managerial skills and a strong understanding of the domestic business environment will make you a highly marketable employee.
Your degree from Humber will help accelerate your career advancement. If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, you’ll be well-positioned to start your own business. And if you want to explore further studies, you’ll be able to pursue graduate studies or industry designations.
Potential Employment Opportunities
Graduates of the program will have the knowledge and skills to assume entry-level management positions in most industries and in most functional areas including:
- human resources
- marketing/sales and
To be eligible for admission, you must possess the following:
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent including these required courses:
- Grade 12 English (ENG4U or equivalent) minimum 65 percent
- Grade 12 Mathematics (MDM4U, MCB4U, MGA4U, MCV4U or MHF4U or equivalent) minimum 60 percent (Students who do not possess Grade 12U Mathematics or who have achieved a grade below 60 percent may be considered for admission. Students will be required to complete a math equivalency course during their first semester at Humber. Additional course fees will apply.)
- Four Grade 12 U or M courses in addition to those listed above
- Overall minimum grade point average (GPA) 65 percent
- Mature student status
- College or university transfer status
All applicants whose first language is not English must meet Humber’s English Language Proficiency Policy.
Selection: Admission selection is based on the academic criteria indicated. Meeting minimum eligibility requirements does not guarantee admission.
Cost & Fees
The 2016/2017 fee for two semesters is
- domestic $7,446.54
- international $14,800.
Amounts listed are the total of tuition, lab and material fees, student service and auxiliary fees for the first two semesters of the 2016/2017 academic year. Fees are subject to change.
About the School
Humber, a member of Polytechnics Canada, is committed to student success through excellence in teaching and learning. Humber's broad range of career-focused credentials include: bachelor degrees, dipl ... Read More