- Join a university ranked in the Top 150 institutions in the world for Accounting and Finance(1).
- Study at the No.1 Business School in South Australia for graduate careers(2).
- Build a strong foundation of knowledge in accounting combined with business, taxation, auditing, finance and sustainability.
- Develop strong reporting, decision-making, problem-solving, communication and teamwork skills.
- Learn about the economic, legal and political influences that impact global business.
- Prepare for a rewarding career in accounting and business advisory with an industry-accredited degree.
- Participate in an overseas study tour learning about business practices and political and cultural influences in other regions, or undertake an internship in an organisation.
- Fast-track your studies and complete an undergraduate degree and masters degree in just four years with our 3+1 Pathway to Masters package.
- The University of South Australia Business School is in the top one percent worldwide(3) and has been awarded an overall five stars for excellence in the QS Stars Ratings 2019.
- Study a curriculum informed by world-class research in Accounting(4).
Ranked in the top one percent worldwide, we are one of the largest leading providers of accounting and finance education in Australia and Asia.
This industry-accredited degree will provide you with a strong foundation of knowledge in accounting combined with business, taxation, auditing, finance, and sustainability. You will also learn about the current economic, legal and political influences affecting global business as well as develop critical reporting, decision-making, problem-solving, communication and teamwork skills.
We know that employers value graduates with industry experience so there are opportunities to embed an internship, mentoring or work-integrated learning into your degree. You could even work on a business project overseas.
*UniSA Business School is one of just ten institutions in Australia and 187 globally to be accredited by EQUIS (from over 16,500 worldwide). EFMD, October 2019.
What you'll learn
You will start with core courses in business. These will give you a solid grounding in important areas including accounting and quantitative methods for business; business law, finance, business intelligence, data management and analysis, economics and marketing.
You’ll then branch out into your accounting specialisation, learning cutting edge knowledge and skills in:
- financial and management accounting
- taxation law
- sustainability accounting
- global and contemporary accounting issues
- strategic financial analysis
Why Bachelor of Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting)
This is a globally competitive degree respected for its quality and relevance to industry.
Graduates are eligible for membership with CPA Australia, Chartered Accountants Australia, and New Zealand, the global Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA).
As a student, you'll benefit from our strong links with the accounting profession and professional industry bodies, as well as gain practical skills with computer simulation software using state-of-the-art technologies. You'll also have the opportunity to participate in a study tour learning about business practices, as well as political and cultural influences in other regions.3+1 Pathway to Masters
Want to gain a postgraduate degree with just one extra year of study? You can package the Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) with the Master of Finance, Master of Finance (Financial Planning) or Master of Management (various specialisations) and graduate with two qualifications in just four years with our 3+1 Pathway to Masters program. This unique offering allows you to fast-track your studies, develop greater expertise and broaden your career opportunities. You will study a three-year bachelor degree and a one-year master’s degree (typically two years) in four years by using your undergraduate electives or nominated courses.More ways to study
Our flexible delivery and extra-curricular opportunities are designed to suit your lifestyle, preferred way of learning and career interests. You can benefit from Summer and Winter School intensive courses, mentoring and networking opportunities with industry, and accelerated learning pathways. Plus, you can make the most of professional development courses endorsed by industry, build leadership skills employers value through UniSA+ and seek support at our on-campus Business Student Hub.
As the No.1 Business School in South Australia for graduate careers1, our quality teaching and experiences beyond the classroom will ensure you graduate career-ready.
Due to the flexibility in this degree, there are many career paths our graduates aspire to – your career will depend on your specialisation. You could consider careers such as:
- Auditor/Risk consultant: ensuring financial and operational integrity and compliance; evaluating and reporting on financial, operational and managerial processes and systems; working on business process reviews and risk assessments
- Business adviser: working with new or established businesses; analysing business plans and financial statements; advising on investments, marketing, funding and financial trends; understanding consumer needs and how to improve profitability; problem solving with clients
- Forensic accountant: working in a corporate or regulatory environment to investigate fraud and similar crimes; researching and preparing forensic reports for courts; providing expert evidence
- Insolvency and reconstruction adviser: working with and achieving the best possible results for stakeholders in cases of personal and business financial distress; administrations and liquidations; restructuring under performing businesses and turnarounds
- Management accountant: assisting senior management make critical business decisions; preparing forecasts, budgets and risk analysis; advising managers about the financial implications of business decisions
- Practising accountant: working for private sector, government or individuals; preparing tax returns; keeping accounting systems up-to-date; maintaining financial records; advising on business structures
- Tax accountant/Corporate tax consultant: compiling company and other business tax returns, and individual tax returns; providing tax planning advice and strategies
*QILT: Graduate Outcomes Survey Course Experience Questionnaire 2016-18 – Full-time Employment Indicator (Undergraduate and Postgraduate). Public SA-founded universities only.
Real World Connections
In addition to learning from teachers with professional experience as part of your studies, we offer opportunities for you to connect with industry outside the classroom:
- Complete an internship or industry project
- Become a global citizen with our overseas exchange program – we have more than 60 partner universities worldwide, and study options that range from two weeks to one year
- Build your network and career by participating in our Business Career Mentor Program which pairs you with an experienced business professional
We also host regular University-wide employee master classes and employment expos, and alumni events in Australia and overseas.
About the School
The University of South Australia is a globally connected and engaged university with industry-informed teaching and research that is inventive and adventurous.