Global Business Systems Management
Major: Global Business Systems Management
Degree / Award Title: Bachelor of Business Administration in Global Business Systems Management
Offering Academic Unit: Department of Information Systems
Mode of Study: Full-time
Aims of Major
Hong Kong is a global business centre that connects China with the rest of the world. According to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange report, the number of global technology companies listed in Hong Kong has overtaken the number of traditional companies since 2007. An increasing number of companies are using Hong Kong as a platform and a regional hub to support their global businesses development in China and the Asia-Pacific region. This has created a great demand for global technology business professionals trained in Hong Kong to manage such global technology ventures.
BBA Global Business Systems Management aims to prepare students to become smart technology business investors and global business managers with competent knowledge and skills of Internet technologies (e.g., social media, mobile apps, big data, artificial intelligence and cloud services), and global business (management, accounting, finance, marketing), with great careers of the future.
Our students are required to complete two semester-long exchanges outside of Hong Kong, including one university in Europe/North America/ Australia (e.g. University College London, Copenhagen Business School, Carnegie Mellon University), and another one in Asia/Greater China Region (e.g. National University of Singapore, Tsinghua University, Fudan University).
Various scholarships and financial aid packages are provided to qualified students to help them complete their overseas exchange studies and internships.
Our graduates are well equipped with soft skills of communication, problem-solving and big data analytics, they are in high demands with jobs like global business managers and technology business investors in global investment, and consulting firms.
GBSM is the only global business major in Hong Kong with a focus on technology business like AAAF (Alphabet/Google, Amazon, Apple, Facebook) and BAT (Baidu, Alibaba, Tencent).
Intended Learning Outcomes of Major (MILOs)
Demonstrate key knowledge and skills in business-related disciplines.
Communicate effectively in English and Chinese.
Apply creative and critical thinking in solving business-related problems.
Attain personal and team goals using individual and interpersonal skills.
Demonstrate awareness of ethical and global issues in business.
Demonstrate the attitude and ability to discover the best practices of global business for managing global technology ventures.
Demonstrate the ability to understand Internet technologies and pursue the success of Internet business companies.
For students with recognised Advanced Level Examinations or equivalent qualifications.
For Associate Degree/Higher Diploma graduates admitted as senior-year intake students.
*For details, please refer to the Curriculum Information Record for Common Requirements.
Department of Information Systems (options: BBA Global Business Systems Management, BBA Information Management)
Year of Entry: 2020
Mode of Funding: Government-funded
Admission Code: 1004 Department of Information Systems (options: BBA Global Business Systems Management, BBA Information Management)
Mode of Study: Full-time
Indicative Intake Target (subject to change): direct application places
Local Students: 23 for the Department of Information Systems
Non-Local Students: Direct Application route for international and mainland Non-Gaokao students: around 250. NUEE route [全国普通高等学校统一招生计划（统招）] for mainland Gaokao students: around 225
Normal Duration of Programme: 4 years
Direct/Non-JUPAS Application Deadline: 2 January 2020 (Local & Non-local)
Why BBA Global Business Systems Management?
BBA Global Business Systems Management (GBSM) aims to prepare students to become smart business managers with combined knowledge and skills of global business, information systems and financial services.
Our students are required to complete two semester-long overseas exchange studies in recognized universities in Europe, North America or Asia. Various scholarships and financial aids are available for qualified students.
Our graduates are well equipped with soft skills of communication, problem-solving, business intelligence and analytics, they are in high demand in new economy companies.
Why BBA Global Business Systems Management at CityU College of Business?
BBA Global Business Systems Management programme offers you:
Global Business + Internet Technologies = Smart Technology Business Investors and Global Business Managers
Two exchange studies (one in Europe/North America/Australia and another in Asia/Greater China region)
Learn from and join Internet giants like AAAF (Alphabet/Google, Amazon, Apple, Facebook) and BAT (Baidu, Alibaba, Tencent)
The Department of Information Systems is committed to nurturing smart people for smart business, with careers of the future.
College of Business is among the top three business schools in Asia.
Entrance scholarships up to HK$265,000 are available for elite students.
Overseas exchange and summer programmes are available in over 200 partner universities around the globe!
Over 80% of students secure local and global internship opportunities in different areas including banking, accounting, IT and consulting.
What You Will Be Studying
Language and Culture Knowledge
Innovation, Business Model, and IS Strategy
Cutting-edge Technology and Analytics Knowledge
Consulting, Project Management, and Entrepreneurship
One year overseas exchange studies
Internships at multinational corporations (MNCs)
A departmental industrial mentorship programme
IS Smart Business Scholarships
Did You Know?
Internet and information over the Internet are changing the way we do business today. Different from other global business majors (i.e., Global Business Studies at CUHK, Global Business at HKUST, or Global Business at CityU) in Hong Kong, we focus on global technology business with Internet+ business innovations.
Scholarships and financial aids are available for qualified students to participate in one-year overseas exchange studies.
Established in 1992, the Department of Information Systems is the largest in Hong Kong and one of the best IS departments in the world.
Our graduates find jobs as business managers, technology business investors or project managers in global investment, consulting, and technology firms (e.g., HSBC, BOC, PWC, EY, Apple, Alibaba, IBM, Accenture, etc.).
Entrance Requirements for Direct/Non-JUPAS Applicants
To be considered for admission, you must satisfy the General Entrance Requirements and have studied a subject related to Mathematics at a high school or post-secondary institution.
Co-curricular Activities and Learning Support
Regularly, we organize “Internet+” study tours to visit new economic companies like AAAF (Amazon, Apple, Alphabet, Facebook) in USA and BAT (Baidu, Alibaba, Tencent) in China. We are committed to nurturing smart people for smart business, with great careers of the future.
BBA Global Business Systems Management (GBSM) offers courses in three areas:
IS4940 Global Technology Entrepreneurship and Innovation
IS2502 Social Media and Social Networks
CB2023 Mobile Applications for Business
CB2021 Big Data Management
IS4834 Business Intelligence and Analytics
IS4650 Global Business Technology Consulting
IS4532 Global Project Management
MGT4227 International Business
CB3042 China Business Environment
MS3124 Global Supply Chain Management
IS4632 Global Business Systems Strategy and Tactical Management
CB3602 Global Business Culture and Management
IS4040 Global Technology Business Ventures
CB2100 Introduction to Financial Accounting
CB3410 Financial Management
CB3041 Financial Statement Analysis
CB3044 Introduction to Financial Markets
EF3331 Asia-Pacific Capital Markets and Standards of Practice
AC3252 Accounting and Taxation Systems in the Chinese Mainland
Major Allocation Arrangement
Applicants to this programme (admission code: 1004) will be considered for admission to first-year studies at the Department of Information Systems. Students will enter a major (current major options: Global Business Systems Management; Information Management) after one year of study. The top 40% of students# will have a free choice of majors offered by the Department. The other 60% of students will be allocated a major within the Department, subject to the availability of places and the selection criteria set by individual majors.
# Based on the CGPA with no failed grades and completion of at least 30 credit units including College/Department required courses.
Admission Arrangements for Direct / Non-JUPAS Applicants
Applicants to this programme (admission code: 1004) will be considered for admission to first-year studies at the Department of Information Systems. Students will enter a major (current major options: Global Business Systems Management; BBA Information Management) after one year of study. The top 40% of students# will have a free choice of majors offered by the Department. The other 60% of students will be allocated a major within the Department, subject to the availability of places and the selection criteria set by individual majors.
# Based on CGPA with no failed grades and completion of at least 30 credit units including College/Department required courses.
Applicants seeking advanced standing entry can submit an application for the following programme:
BBA Global Business Systems Management (admission code: 1171A)