The BBA in Business Economics is an interdisciplinary program encompassing the departments of Economics, Accounting, and Financial Services Management. Students gain essential knowledge and skills in Intermediate-level Econometrics, Microeconomics, and Macroeconomics, as well in the application of quantitative and qualitative tools of analysis in business. The program also provides a thorough grounding in the theory and practice of international trade and finance, corporate strategy, and innovation.
Objectives & Outcomes
- To give the students the basis for practical applications of economics
- To develop the student’s capacity to think, analyse and process information in an innovative and creative way
- To develop an awareness, respect and appreciation of the social, moral and ethical values as the main principles of one’s relationship towards others and to the community;
- To develop the students analytical, critical thinking, decision-making and communication competencies that will help promote their personal achievement and contribution to organizations;
- To build breadth of perspective through the general education requirements and provide sufficient specialization to meet basic professional and career requirements;
- To provide the student with the necessary requirements for academic and/or career advancements.
- To provide students with a particle ability to be employed in applications of economics;
- To allow students to integrate the theoretical with practical issues of their choosing
- The main attention is directed to the skills and knowledge required by the profession
- To assist the students in developing leadership, which can be used to motivate employees and also in reaching solutions to problems relating to Business enterprise.
Upon successful completion of the BBA in Business Economics students should be able to:
- Find data, generate datasets, and use a statistical package to test and analyse economic situations
- Demonstrate their ability to communicate effectively in business through speaking, writing, and electronic means
- Demonstrate their ability to work in teams and work effectively within them.
- Illustrate their awareness and capability to analyse environmental, economic, social, political, legal, and ethical nature including their impact on individuals and businesses.
- Describe the application of manual and computer-based quantitative and qualitative tools and methodologies in identifying and solving problems and making decisions in business situations.
- Critically evaluate and apply concepts, techniques, strategies, and theories from any appropriate discipline in business contexts.
- Understand Intermediate level Econometrics, Microeconomics and Macroeconomics
- Be able to read and evaluate academic articles
- Differentiate between contexts of various sectors of business and adapt to them models and techniques of analysis, planning and decision making.
- Demonstrate awareness of the major functions of business and their contribution to value creation.
- Demonstrate their ability to analyze competitors and formulate strategies and tactics to build competitive advantage.
- Describe ways to initiate and implement innovation and change programs working in interdisciplinary teams.
- Demonstrate their skills in developing a holistic perspective of the interconnected internal and external factors and make critical assessment of their impact on business.
Consulting, Banking, Accountancy, Tax, Audit, Insurance, Trading, Management, Marketing, and Sales. The program also provides a foundation for further studies in Economics.
Careers & Employment
Economics provides the edge into business. This degree enables graduates to use the additional skills in quantitate reasoning to open opportunities in a range of sectors. Graduate business economics students are employed in financial institutions, financial service providers, business service providers, research departments of accounting firms, insurance firms, private companies in all sectors that require research and in-depth analysis of markets, as well in secondary school education and the general public sector. Many graduates chose more focused academic and research careers.
- Analytical and numerical skills
- Problem solving
- Computer skills and qualitative processing
- Critical Thinking
- Preparing financial research reports
- Financial services
- Business Services
- Public Sector
- Research Analyst
- Risk Appraisal / Risk Management
- Financial Analyst
- Investment Advisor
- Administrative Officer
- Financial services manager
- Economic researcher
Graduate / Professional Studies
International organizations may request as additional academic qualifications a Master of Business Administration (MBA) or another post-graduate diploma in Business Administration. For some of the roles within the sectors, there is a subsequent more specialized Master degree in Economics.
For a career in the academic field and in higher education, it is desirable to have a doctorate (Ph.D.) which also offers experience and skills directly linked to research.
Work Experience Program - European University Cyprus
The work experience of the Career Center program enables third-year and fourth-year students with high academic achievement to work for three months period in positions appropriate to their field of study. The program enriches the curriculum of each participant, after acquiring work experience and Personal Evaluation of Competence of the organization in which he or she is placed. Some of the companies that participate in the program of Business Economics in which students were placed are:
- Abacus Ltd
- AC Nielsen
- Alico AIG Life
- Antony Ashioties & Co
- Aspen Trust
- Atlantis Consulting
- FBME BANK LTD (Federal Bank of the Middle East Ltd)
- Infocredit Group
- Island Oil Ltd
- Liberty Life Insurance Company
- PriceWaterhouseCoopers Ltd.
- TFI Markets
- Thomson Reuters
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 23, 2018