- study places 25
- location Mikkeli, Finland
- duration of studies 3,5 years
- next application period is not available
- tuition fee: for non-EU/EEA citizens 6000 euros,
- scholarship scheme and further information www.xamk.fi/tuition-fees
Are you interested in business and wellbeing? During the studies in Degree Program in Wellbeing Management, you will learn to develop and produce wellbeing services based on data with the state-of-art technology.
The goal of wellbeing services is to promote the quality of life, health and the ability to work. The demand for wellbeing services is increasing, which has created the need to be able to assess the suitability and effectiveness of different services in various situations and for different target groups.
Physical exercise and health have an important role in the human ability to work and perform. With the help of technology, it is easier than before to measure and assess well-being. Measuring produces data that helps to create new services that support wellbeing, health, and the ability to perform, together with new business opportunities.
In order to meet this demand, a new degree program in Wellbeing Management has been established. The language of instruction is English and the studies will begin at Xamk in January 2019.
In the degree program in Wellbeing Management, you study how to measure wellbeing and health by exploiting the state-of-the-art technology. You learn how to use this information in developing and producing services for wellbeing. The studies combine this information with business topics.
After your graduation, you will be able to:
- identify and coordinate the service needs for promoting wellbeing
- develop and implement wellbeing services based on data
- acquire and assess wellbeing services based on data
- recognize the opportunities of profitable wellbeing business
- operate in an entrepreneurial manner and start your own business
- operate in an international working environment
The studies are implemented in close cooperation with companies and they include projects commissioned by companies. This will create networks that will be beneficial after your graduation.
You will study at Mikkeli Campus and at Saimaa Stadiumi
Mikkeli is located approximately 2.5 hours north from the Finnish capital Helsinki. Saimaa Stadiumi is situated in the middle of beautiful Finnish nature in Mikkeli, in an area that offers a great opportunity to combine sports, experiences, and well-being.
In Saimaa Stadiumi area you can for example play ice-hockey and football, ice-skate and ski, and do orienteering or track & field sports there, together with many options of indoor games.
In addition, Active Life Lab, a unique environment for high-quality research and development on wellbeing services at Saimaa Stadiumi, will be an important part of your studies.
"Active Life Lab | Entrepreneurship | Health Promotion | Technologies of Wellbeing | Wellbeing Management"
Active Life Lab
Active Life Lab, a unique environment for high-quality research and development on wellbeing service.
- The virtual reality space includes technology to test how different environments, eg nature environments or a new office layout, affect people’s wellbeing. In addition, space includes different virtual reality games and contents that are used for measuring and enhancing the cognition and memory of neurological patients as well as those of healthy people.
- The devices at the smart gym automatically track and adapt the training programs of individuals. This information is used for optimizing the development as well as for tailoring the health enhancement actions outside of the smart gym.
- The fitness testing area includes novel equipment which makes use of virtual reality and augmented reality to improve the fitness and functionality of neurological patients, orthopedic patients, and also of healthy people. The virtual reality treadmill includes different games that used for motivating the patient and for gamifying the rehabilitation or training.
The Structure of Studies
The studies consist of core and complementary competence courses. All the students take the same core competency courses which include the basics of the profession and degree. Complementary competence courses include courses that you choose based on your own interest either in your own or other fields.
The structure of studies:
- Core competence 150 ECTS
- Complementary competence 15 ECTS
- Practical training 30 ECTS
- Bachelor’s thesis 15 ECTS
Core competence study modules:
- Holistic wellbeing
- Wellbeing entrepreneurship and environments
- Customer oriented selling of services
- Development of wellbeing services
- Data-driven business
- Competencies for wellbeing producer
- Management of wellbeing businesses
The studies are full-time studies and the contact lessons are held mainly during the weekdays. The first 2.5 years of the studies take place in Mikkeli, but during your last year, professional training, the rest of the courses and the thesis work can be done either in Mikkeli or elsewhere according to your personal study plan. The aim is to gain 30 ECTS credits every semester.
During your first year, you become acquainted with the concepts of wellbeing, the operational environment of wellbeing services, and the management of wellbeing data. The studies also include different areas of business operations and the marketing and sales of wellbeing services.
During your second year, you learn more about the effectiveness of wellbeing services, the development of user-driven services, and the operation of the data-based business. In addition, you will become familiar with international business operations, project work, and the methods of research and development.
The third-year studies include practical projects in producing services and events. You also become familiar with the management of wellbeing services and business operations.
The professional training period (30 ECTS) takes one semester. The bachelor’s thesis is 15 ECTS.
BYOD – Bring Your Own Device
Xamk students are expected to use their own devices (eg laptops) for studies.
BBA in Wellbeing Management in Working Life
The need for wellbeing services is increasing all the time, and there is also an increasing demand for service providers.
Good communication and interaction skills are essential for producing wellbeing services, together with the understanding of the possibilities of promoting wellbeing, customer-oriented thinking, and an entrepreneurial attitude.
As a BBA in Wellbeing Management, you will be able to work for example
- in companies that offer services in physical activities, nutrition or healthcare
- in companies that develop health and well-being technologies
- in event production planning and in producing wellbeing services
- in the field of human resources or
After your graduation, an international bachelor’s degree offers you interesting job opportunities all over the world.
About the School
Are you interested in practical learning? Would you like to study in modern facilities with top-class teachers? Are you attracted to new ways of teaching and learning? If you said yes, South-Eastern F ... Read More