Bachelor of Business (Honours)
Duration: 1 year full time /part time available
Venue: City Campus
Start Date: 4 March 2013 / 22 July 2013
AUT University encourages early application. This qualification will remain open until all places have been filled.
The Bachelor of Business (Honours) is a one year programme that provides exceptional Bachelor of Business graduates with postgraduate study and research experience. Honours students develop postgraduate research capability and extend their understanding of a specialist business field. They work closely with academic staff, researchers and other high performing students in a learning environment that challenges them to excel. An honours degree demonstrates a high level of achievement that is recognised by employers in New Zealand and overseas and leads to greater opportunities for further study.
• Applicants are expected to have completed the Bachelor of Business with a B grade average or higher in level 7 papers in the selected subject area, or equivalent.
• Applicants for whom English is a second or additional language must have an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5 overall and a minimum of 6.0 in each band. For more details, please refer to English Language Requirements in AUT’s Academic Calendar
To graduate with a Bachelor of Business (Honours), you must successfully complete 120 points comprising specialisation papers, research methodology paper(s), and a research project. This structure ensures that you are able to critically analyse and evaluate the research and professional literature in business and begin your advanced studies in business with an appreciation of the current issues and controversies in the field.
1. Specialisation papers (60 points)
These papers provide comprehensive coverage of the latest research in your specialisation.
2. Research methodology paper(s) (30 points)*
The research methodology paper(s) provide an introduction to philosophical issues shaping the design of research projects as well as choices in research methods available.
* Economics, Finance, Marketing and Taxation students must complete specific research methodology papers in their specialisation.
• 479006 Research Methods in Business (30 points)
Finance students must complete 399006 Research Methods in Finance (30 points).
Economics students must complete 378008 Microeconomic Theory and Policy (15 points) and 379012 Econometric Theory and Application (15 points)
Marketing students must complete 489020 Multivariate Analysis and Experimental Design (15 points) and 489021 Qualitative Research Methods (15 points)
Taxation students must complete 369004 Research Methods in Taxation Law (30 points)
3. Research (Honours) project (30 points)**
A supervised research project in which you build on the research understanding and expertise developed in specialisation papers to examine a specific body of knowledge in your specialisation. You design, manage, complete and present a research project.
• 478890 Project option
• 478004 Dissertation option**
** Students can choose to replace the 30-point honours project with a 60-point dissertation.
• Master of Business
• Doctor of Philosophy
About the School
The AUT Business School is a leading provider of business education that is relevant, rigorous and prepares graduates well for business practice or for a research career. The AUT Business School is am ... Read More