- Develop a global career in aviation management.
- Build your knowledge in airport and flight operations.
- Focus on aviation law, airline finance, operations management, and safety.
- Gain fundamental knowledge in aviation practice, aviation management, aviation safety, human factors, aviation law, airline finance, and airline operations.
- Benefit from close links to the industry with coursework and materials aligned directly to industry needs and best practice.
- Broaden your studies with courses in professional and technical communication, leadership research methods.
With worldwide demand for aviation experts growing*, UniSA will build your knowledge in airport and flight operations and prepare you for a global career in aviation management.
This degree focuses on airline and airport management, aviation finance and marketing, safety management, and aviation law in Australia and internationally.
UniSA works in close partnership with industry so you will learn from leaders in the field of aviation.
If you are interested in becoming a pilot, see the Bachelor of Aviation (Flight).
*Boeing’s Current Market Outlook 2014-2033
What you'll learn
You will commence your studies with an introduction to aviation, aviation management, and safety. There are also courses in professional and technical communication and human factors. You’ll even have the chance to spend a semester flying in our simulators to understand the pilot side of aviation.
As your studies progress you will explore aviation law, finance, economics and marketing; airline operations management; airport, project and strategic management; and risk and safety systems. You’ll also study leadership, and communications and research methods.
You will study one elective from any of the University of South Australia electives, and one from the Bachelor of Aviation (Flight) degree or other aviation-related electives.
Why a Bachelor of Aviation (Management)
The aviation industry is growing steadily and it is becoming increasingly sophisticated. Employers seek qualified aviation professionals with excellent skills and an all-round understanding of the industry complexities.
You will learn the very latest in aviation theory from academics, industry experts and flight instructors, plus you’ll get hands-on, practical experience and real-world assignments.
This degree prepares you for a management role in the aviation industry in Australia or overseas. You’ll develop a sound professional understanding of the industry and its associated environment. Your skills in organizational, regulatory, safety, technical and business management will make you adaptable and highly employable.
Over the next 20 years, IATA (the International Air Transport Association) forecasts that passenger air travel will double. Routes to, from and within the Asia-Pacific will see an extra 1.8 billion annual passengers by 2035 – the second-highest global growth rate*. This growth should have a flow-on effect on other careers in the field of aviation, making it a very exciting time to be launching a career in this vibrant industry.
Careers to consider:
- Manager airport services/operation manager: oversee day-to-day operations airports, responsible for establishing and maintaining high standards of safety, security and customer service.
- Maintenance and safety specialist: responsible for programs and projects that ensure aircraft or workplace health and safety, including implementing WHS strategies, training employees and investigating incidents.
- Air traffic controller: directing and monitoring air traffic (both on the ground and in the sky), coordinating flight schedules, overseeing stringent safety protocols and aircraft communication.
*IATA Press Release No.59, 18 October 2016
Real World Connections
UniSA collaborates with over 2,500 companies worldwide. These extensive industry connections give us a truly competitive edge – our students get real-world skills and connections. We emphasize hands-on, practical knowledge. For example, you will use brand new airline simulation software to design a fully-functioning airline that responds to real-world demands and constraints.
UniSA has a strong focus on aviation research and we have developed partnerships and new technologies for industry.
We also host regular University-wide employee master classes and employment expos, and alumni events in Australia and overseas.
About the School
The University of South Australia is a globally connected and engaged university with industry-informed teaching and research that is inventive and adventurous.