Joint Venture Code : JS8105
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- High level of Chinese proficiency: one sentence and two languages;
- Have a deep understanding of Chinese language, literature and culture;
- Teaching Chinese Language in Hong Kong Secondary Schools and Primary Schools;
- Teaching Chinese Language with relevant IT knowledge and skills;
- Have the ability to learn for life and appreciate different values, social and cultural values;
- Working with parents, colleagues, school administrators and other professionals; and
- Understand the current education issues in Hong Kong and actively respond to various educational reforms.
- In response to the needs of Chinese teaching in Hong Kong, we will balance the development of students' knowledge and abilities in language, literature, culture and language teaching.
- Integrating Putonghua learning elements, developing students' fluent Chinese language skills and developing students' ability to teach Chinese in Putonghua, this course is dedicated to assisting students in achieving university-related language policy requirements when they graduate.
- Set up an immersion course to allow students to study at a domestic university, experience the connotation of literary culture in a culturally rich environment, and improve the oral English ability to understand the development of Chinese language education in the Mainland.
- Both subject knowledge and subject teaching are equally important, allowing students to develop their teaching skills and explore effective Chinese teaching methods in a step-by-step manner. In line with the students' interests and needs, they provide Putonghua teaching and "universal education" training.
- Systematic development of students' educational professional abilities, including school visits, school assignments, and teaching internships.
- Comprehensive secondary and primary school teaching training will be provided and students will be assigned to secondary and primary schools for teaching internships.
|General education||twenty two|
|Graduation Topic Research||6|
|Immersion course||Required courses without credits|
Note: The class will be arranged at Tai Po Campus and Tseung Kwan O Teaching Centre / Kowloon Tong Satellite Teaching Centre / Pak Shek Kok Sports Centre. The actual class location is determined by the university.
The major study includes compulsory majors and elective majors, and consists of four subject areas: language, literature, culture and communication, and language education. In addition to learning all kinds of Chinese language knowledge, students must also improve their individual language skills.
Educational research provides students with opportunities to explore teaching and learning across disciplines. Students can explore school education from the perspectives of psychology, sociology, philosophy, pedagogy, and other perspectives. Students will develop a range of skills related to the education profession, such as problem solving, critical thinking, creativity, communication, social networking, ethical decision-making and global perspectives. Learning in this area enables students to recognize the importance of professional excellence, moral responsibility and innovative spirit to the role of teachers. Graduates will become teachers with caring communities and teaching abilities, and possess the qualities of eagerly pursuing learning, social commitment, and world-mindedness.
This category provides elective subjects for students to choose freely. Students can also choose to study minor or second major.
Graduation Topic Research
The graduation thematic research aims to present the achievements of students after accumulating academic and knowledge experience.
This category includes the English Language Enrichment Program, the Putonghua Enrichment Program, the Chinese Language Enrichment Program, and the Guangzhou Language Program* to help students continue to develop their language skills and meet the needs of future work and further education. Students are required to take the prescribed Chinese, English and Putonghua language subjects in accordance with the language policy of the University.
*Only applicable to non-Cantonese Chinese students
The general education curriculum includes the following four areas. It broadens students ’academic horizons, helps them to integrate knowledge in different fields, and connects formal learning content with daily life, so as to equip students to become active agents of change:
- General Education Basic Course
- Experience learning
- Experience learning course
- Co-curricular and service learning courses
- General education broadens curriculum
- General education broadening curriculum (learning groups 1-3)
- Study Group 1: Humanity, Interpretation and Perspectives
- Study Group 2: Group, Society and Culture
- Study Group 3: Nature, Science and Technology
- Positive education and value education curriculum
- Interdisciplinary courses in general education
Through school experience and internship opportunities in primary and secondary schools, students can understand and practice the theories learned in the classroom.
Students will go to local schools for teaching internships. The language of instruction depends on the policy of the internship school. Therefore, students must be fluent in Cantonese and Putonghua * for teaching practice.
* Only some local schools use Mandarin as the medium of instruction
Students must attend immersion courses at mainland universities. This course aims to combine Mandarin language training, academic research, cultural investigation and teaching observation, etc., to enable students to experience the connotation of literature and culture in a culturally rich environment, and to improve Mandarin speaking ability and understand the development of mainland Chinese education.
The immersion course is a compulsory course with no credits. Students must participate and pass a passing grade in order to be eligible for graduation.
Employment prospects / professional qualifications
Chinese is the first language of Hong Kong students, and the Chinese Language Department is one of the learning areas of Hong Kong school curriculum. Therefore, there is a great demand for high quality Chinese language teachers in Hong Kong. The graduates of this course have a wealth of academic and professional knowledge and a good career prospect. They can obtain the "Hong Kong Registered Teacher" qualification and become a qualified Chinese language teacher. In addition to serving as professional teachers, graduates can also use their subject knowledge and intelligence skills to develop in various industries, such as government departments, news organizations, and publishing houses.
About the School
The Education University of Hong Kong is a publicly funded tertiary institution dedicated to the advancement of teaching and learning, through a diverse offering of academic and research programmes on ... Read More