The mission of Hannibal-LaGrange University is to provide excellent education in both liberal arts and professional disciplines in a distinctively Christian environment that integrates Christian faith and learning in preparing graduates for personal and career effectiveness.
The mission of the Bachelor of Arts or Science in Business Administration - General Business Emphasis is to equip students with the concepts, skills, and competencies that are fundamental for success in today’s business world. The Department of Business seeks to provide its students with a foundation for success in their chosen vocation.
Objectives for the Business Administration Major
- Business Administration majors completing the program will demonstrate basic knowledge in each assessed area (as compared to national norms)—Accounting, Finance, Management, and Marketing, as well as score at the proficient level in his/her area of emphasis.
- Business Administration majors will demonstrate
- effective verbal and nonverbal skills, and
- problem-solving and critical thinking skills applicable to ethical dilemmas and/or business situations, and
- utilization of information for presentation and research purposes.
We Stand Out
Despite being one of the largest departments, small class sizes allow for ample one-on-one attention from faculty.
Highly Qualified Faculty
Faculty combines academic expertise with real-world experience.
Our graduates continue to find high placements in the workforce, and alumni are well prepared to pursue graduate work if desired.
We have many international students who choose to study business, adding dimension as we prepare students to work in a globally-focused marketplace.
While studying at HLGU, business students have opportunities for internships. Recent students have interned at MODOT, Hannibal Regional Hospital, and United Way, among others.
Membership in Phi Beta Lambda (PBL)
Members gather monthly and have regular opportunities for service and social activities.
Prepared for Graduate Work
A challenging and preparatory academic program positions graduates well for continued study.
High Job Placement Rates
Even in a challenging economy, our alumni continue to place high in the working world.
Admission Requirements: Business
Download the Application for Admittance to the business department program.
The following procedures are required of all bachelor degree seeking business administration majors entering Hannibal-LaGrange University.
- After being admitted to Hannibal-LaGrange University, business administration students should have an academic adviser within the department of business.
- Submit an application to the chair of the business department during the junior year requesting acceptance as a business administration major. To be eligible to submit an application, you must have:
- Successfully completed at least 12 hours in residence at HLGU before making application;
- Successfully completed at least 60 credit hours which include at least six of the basic major courses–specifically 6 hours of accounting, 6 hours of economics 3 hours of business software applications, and BUS 333 Applied Calculus. (The general business emphasis only does not require Applied Calculus);
- A minimum of 2.25 on a 4.0 scale Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA ) including transfer hours; and
- A minimum of 2.25 on a 4.0 scale cumulative grade point average in all basic major and major courses–including transfer hours. Application deadlines: November 1 and April 1
- After the application form has been submitted, it will be evaluated, and then, upon committee recommendation, the student will be:
- admitted to the business department as a business administration major or
- conditionally admitted with stipulations or
- denied admittance. If admittance is denied, the student may reapply after any deficiencies are resolved.
- The business department requires a grade of “C” or better in all basic major and all major courses.
- Steps 1-3 must be successfully completed before the student will be allowed to enroll in BUS 499 Business Strategy (see catalog description). BUS 499 Business Strategy is a required course for business administration majors.
- Admittance to this program does not equate with/to successful program or degree completion.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 11, 2019