The Department of Sociology offers a B.A. degree in Sociology and a minor in Family Studies. Students require 120 credit hours to graduate. They can choose 9 credit hours from each group: Society, Population, and Family and Society, Culture, and Social Institutions. Sociology Department aims to prepare leading graduates in the field of sociology as well as to achieve academic excellence. It provides significant approaches through a spectrum of descriptive and analytical methods explicating global operations impacting localized realities represented in detailed case studies, data analysis, narratives, life histories, discursive and non-discursive actions. These scholarly approaches help appreciate and understand the aspirations and challenges of characterizing social life in the UAE.
- To introduce students to sociological knowledge, methods, concepts, issues, and topics that are relevant to the society.
- To provide students with the skills and tools needed to engage fieldwork and scientific research in the U.A.E society.
- To train students to think critically in understanding, analyzing, and solving social issues and problems.
- To equip students with tools and skills to be leaders in the private and public sectors.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Employ a sociological perspective to investigate issues within the local, regional and international contexts.
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative sociological research.
- Analyze sociological research data employing different perspectives and approaches.
- Compose sociological information in written and oral forms appropriate to diverse audiences.
- Assess arguments logically from diverse perspectives for possible solutions.
- Evaluate a variety of sociological sources to present conclusions written and orally.
About the School
The United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling approximately 13,900 students, with more than 900 faculty and 65,000 alumni holding key positions ... Read More