The talent is on stage.
You will learn to design, develop and effectively combine scenes with costumes, locations with the world at large, specific moments with their semblance. You will develop an understanding of this magical art underpinning every performance, skilfully combining architecture, history and the visual arts.
The theatre is associated with costume scenography as a way of creating places and worlds, moments of time, illusory realities; developing a sense of perception and beauty where space and time are put in motion, making it possible to create new projects, stories, and emotions. Set Design is a magic art that enables all forms of theatrical representation to be created by expertly mixing architecture and history, arts and technologies; as a profession, there is nothing else quite like it. Using the theoretical and empirical training received at RUFA about how to use lighting, materials, fundamentals of architecture, photography, video projections and reconstructions, the Set Designer with a BA degree in Set Design at Rufa enters the world of work as a many-sided professional whose areas of knowledge range from construction to design, and finds its natural outlet in the entertainment world (theatre, cinema, television, events). But the set designer r can also become an art director in many other areas designing costumes, scenes, lighting for fashion shows, exhibitions, and open-air installations. Using aesthetic taste and knowledge of advanced techniques, the set designer is the person who establishes the basic principles for the dynamic design of any theatrical event.
Academy Degrees are equivalent to Bachelor’s university degrees.
Coordinator: Alessandro Vergoz
Tutor: Alessandro Vergoz
Lecturers: Christian Angeli, Alessandro Carpentieri, Vincenzo Caruso, Stefania Conti, Maria Chiara Castelli, Rosa Cuppone, Genny Di Bert, Antonin Di Santantonio, Elena Fiorellino, Alessandro Gori, Jurgen Janku, Nicolas Martino, Pino Quini, Christian Rizzo, Katia Titolo, Alessandro Vergoz.
Suggested training program - Design Department
|I Year||Set Design 1||12||150|
|Set Construction 1||6||75|
|History of The Performing Arts 1||6||45|
|Technical Drawing & Project Design||6||75|
|Technology & Materials For Set Design||6||75|
|Features of Architecture & Urban Design||6||75|
|History of Costume||6||45|
|Basics of Computer Design||6||75|
|Theory & Practice of Perspective Drawing||2||25|
|Basics of Computer Science||4||50|
|II Year||Set Design 2||12||150|
|Costumes For Performing Arts||8||100|
|History of The Performing Arts 2||6||45|
|Set Construction 2||6||75|
|Art History: Artistic Styles & Context 1||6||45|
|3D Digital Modelling Techniques 1||6||75|
|III Year||Set Design 3||12||150|
|Art History: Artistic Styles & Context 2||6||45|
|3D Digital Modelling Techniques 2||6||75|
Admission to Bachelor of Arts programs
Joining the RUFA community is not difficult, but it requires commitment and determination. To be admitted to the Bachelor of Arts programs you will need to pass an admission test, that will enable us to assess your motivation and aptitude to study at RUFA. Admission tests vary according to the chosen course, cycle, and if the student is transferring from another University.
To enroll in a Bachelor of Arts Degree program you will need to submit:
- a leaving certificate confirming that you have attended 12 years of schooling. recognized through a “Declaration of Value in Loco (DV)” and legalization of the qualification (to be requested at the Italian Embassy / Consulate of your Country);
- a certificate stating that you have passed the proof of academic suitability exam, if required to be admitted to Universities in your Country (Selectividad, YKS, etc.);
- a certificate stating that you have an adequate level of Italian or English (depending on if you wish to attend a BA in Italian or English), achieved over the last 10 years. If you have achieved your qualification in an English/Italian speaking Country, or if the program you attend was in English/Italian you may not be required to submit a language certification.
- for non-EU students: study visa required to attend the Academic programs. Students must send a copy of their residence permit/residence permit request to the International students' office 8 days after arriving in Italy.
Deadlines regarding admission
Deadline to apply for the test
- First session: 16 January 2020
- Second session: 16 April 2020
- Third session: 4 June 2020
- Fourth session: 10 September 2020
- Fifth session: 1 October 2020
- First session: 20-24 January 2020
- Second session: 18 April 2020
- Third session: 8-12 June 2020
- Fourth session: 14-15 September 2020
- Fifth session: 5-6 October 2020
Direct enrollment deadline
- 1 October 2020
About the School
RUFA, Rome University of Fine Arts, is a multidisciplinary, international educational center – legally recognized by the Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR) – offering authoritative, ... Read More