Media and Communication
- Major: Media and Communication
- Degree / Award Title: Bachelor of Arts in Media and Communication
- Offering Academic Unit: Department of Media and Communication
- Mode of Study: Full-time
Aims of Major
This major aims to provide students with current knowledge of theories and practices of media and communication from an interdisciplinary perspective.
It seeks to develop students’ critical and creative abilities in discovering and understanding the processes and structure of media and communication in their daily lives.
By comparing and contrasting real-world examples, students will be able to apply the relevant theories and appropriate methods to analyse the interplay between media and society in various contexts and at different levels.
The integrated curriculum is also designed to provide opportunities and platforms for students to explore their potential as a well-rounded professional in media-related fields.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Major (MILOs)
Upon successful completion of this major, students should be able to:
- Command verbal, written and visual skills and knowledge in English and Chinese to design and implement effective communication tasks in such professional fields as journalism, publishing, advertising, public relations, and new media.
- Explore, through real-world experience, the changing media and communication infrastructure and resources in the digital information age.
- Discover a relevant body of knowledge and research involving the interplay among media, communication and society.
- Demonstrate the ability and knowledge to identify the issues and problems concerning the form and content of communication in a global society.
- Apply appropriate theories and research methods to conceive, analyze and evaluate solutions to practical communication problems in various public and private sectors.
- Conduct original research related to media and society in the domestic and international contexts.
- For students with recognised Advanced Level Examinations or equivalent qualifications.
- For Associate Degree/Higher Diploma graduates admitted as senior-year intake students.
No sharing of courses between major and minor requirements is allowed.
Start Your Career Here
This major prepares students to become internationally oriented professionals with a broad knowledge of and integrated skills in media and communication industries, including advertising and public relations, multimedia publishing and journalism and creative information technology. Graduates are well-positioned to pursue diverse careers in various public and private sectors.
Department of Media and Communication (options: BA Digital Television and Broadcasting, BA Media and Communication)
- Year of Entry: 2020
- Mode of Funding: Government-funded
- Admission Code: 1106 Department of Media and Communication (options: BA Digital Television and Broadcasting, BA Media and Communication)
- Mode of Study: Full-time
Indicative Intake Target (subject to change): direct application places
- Local Students: 10 for the Department of Media and Communication.
- Non-Local Students: Direct Application route for international and mainland Non-Gaokao students: around 250. NUEE route [全国普通高等学校统一招生计划（统招）] for mainland Gaokao students: around 225
- Normal Duration of Programme: 4 years
- Direct/Non-JUPAS Application Deadline: 2 January 2020 (Local & Non-local)
Department of Media and Communication
Housed in the landmark Run Run Shaw Creative Media Centre, the Department of Media and Communication offers innovative academic programmes that emphasise media convergence. Unlike traditional curricula that segregate different modes of mass communication, we aim to train professional communicators capable of working in an environment of media convergence and information integration – an environment that spans journalism, broadcasting and TV, advertising, public relations and new media. To that end, we emphasise the integral infusion of new technologies, media skills, communication theories and creativity in our education.
The Department’s teaching and research activities are supported by a state-of-the-art integrated and inter-compatible digital multimedia platform. The facilities include digital TV shooting/editing studios, 3-D Virtual TV/audio recording/advertising shooting/design studios, new media and eye-tracking labs.
During their undergraduate studies, students have many opportunities to travel abroad on study trips, student exchanges and overseas internships. Graduates also have a successful record of rapid employment after graduation, entering a wide range of professions and career paths including, media industries, telecommunications, advertising, business and education.
The Department offers the following majors:
- BA Digital Television and Broadcasting
- BA Media and Communication
Admission Arrangements for Direct/Non-JUPAS Applicants
Applicants to this programme (admission code: 1106) will be considered for admission to first-year studies at the Department of Media and Communication. Students will enter a major (current major options: Media and Communication; Digital Television and Broadcasting) after one year of study. The top 40% of students# will have a free choice of majors offered by the Department. The other 60% of students will be allocated a major within the Department, subject to the availability of places and the selection criteria set by individual majors.
# Based on CGPA with no failed grades and completion of at least 30 credit units including College/Department required courses.
Applicants seeking advanced standing entry can submit an application for the following programmes:
- BA Media and Communication (admission code: 1341A)
- BA Digital Television and Broadcasting (admission code: 1356A)
Entrance Requirements for Direct/Non-JUPAS Applicants
To be considered for admission, you must satisfy the General Entrance Requirements.
About the School
Welcome to City University of Hong Kong (CityU). We are a dynamic university established in 1994 and uniquely located in the heart of Hong Kong, Asia's world city. Our goals are to pursue high levels ... Read More