We know what the mass media industry expects graduates to know, so we tailor our curriculum to meet the needs of the marketplace.
We ensure that our students receive the finest education available in this field in the country and provide them with state-of-the-art facilities, highly qualified and experienced faculty members, and hands-on practical experience.
Our Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communication (B.A.M.C.) program is modeled on similar degree programs found in the US but is adapted to reflect the cultural values of the Middle East-giving our graduates enormous flexibility and advantage in choosing their career path within the mass media profession. Immediate access to job opportunities in Sharjah, Dubai and Abu Dhabi reflect the importance of the media in shaping and covering the impressive growth of the Emirates as well as the region.
Our graduates are prepared for immediate entry into the professional world of the mass media industry. They have found successful employment in some of the leading print and electronic media brand names in the region and beyond, as well as pursued graduate work at leading institutions around the world.
We offer our students the option to follow a general degree path or specialize in one of three concentrations: advertising, journalism or public relations. Students may also choose to specialize in a combination of any two of the professional concentrations.
We have designed our program to:
- provide students with a thorough grounding in the variety of perspectives found in the academic discipline of mass communication, thus fostering students' critical and analytical faculties with respect to the mass media
- furnish students with the requisite theoretical and strategic knowledge required of professionals in the mass media industry
- prepare students for positions in the mass media industry requiring a high degree of technical proficiency
- equip graduates with the required competencies to assume entry-level positions in their chosen fields of endeavor in the mass media industry
Upon graduation, our students should be able to:
- differentiate, articulate and critically analyze the dominant quantitative and qualitative research methods and paradigms found in the discipline of mass communication and to employ these research methods in their professional careers
- understand and articulate the role that the mass media play in the production of everyday experience, culture, and belief, and critically analyze the content of the mass media by explaining the nature of its production, meaning and effects
- employ digital technology in the production of mass media content for print, web and/or broadcast media
We in the Department of Mass Communication are proud of the success achieved by our students and faculty, and look forward to sharing that success with you by helping you achieve your dreams.
About the School
American University of Sharjah is an independent, not-for-profit coeducational institution, based consciously upon American institutions of higher education. The university is a leading comprehensive ... Read More