A three-year undergraduate program dedicated to training future experts and leadership in European affairs and international relations. The curriculum provides the foundations of international relations with introductory courses on the scientific study and history of international relations, international politics, international governmental and non-governmental organizations, European Union institutions, European Union policies, international political economy, International public law, research design and methodology for international relations, as well as more specialized topics such as global social movements or international conflict management, and area studies – Europe, Asia, Africa, Latin America, US. All students are enrolled for one full academic year in internship activities with governmental and non-governmental partners, such as embassies, ministries, media outlets, and top Romanian and international NGOs. All students are also enrolled in specialized English language courses, which help them consolidate their basic language skills and allow them to acquire the relevant vocabulary and linguistic proficiency required by top international employers.
All courses within the program of Bachelor of Arts in International Relations and European Studies (IRES) are fully taught and examined in English.
About the Program
This three-year program is dedicated to training future experts in European affairs and international relations, as well as to uncover the potential for future leadership in these fields. During the first two years, the curriculum provides the foundations of international relations with introductory courses on the scientific study and history of international relations, international politics, international governmental and non-governmental organizations, European Union institutions, European Union policies, international political economy, International public law, research design and methodology for international relations. During the second and third year, students can also choose from a wide set of optional courses that treat some more specialized topics such as global social movements or international conflict management, and area studies – Europe, Asia, Africa, Latin America, US.
EXCELLENCY FROM THE VERY BEGINNING
Although the newest addition to the study programs for the Faculty of Political Science, it already achieved national and international recognition for the activities in which students are involved.
Among its most notable successes are
- The global launch of Digital Diplomacy (Routledge 2015), with the presence of one of the editors - Corneliu Bjola, University of Oxford (Bucharest, March 2015);
- A record-breaking global audience for its live-streamed Kapuscinski Development Lecture with Thomas Pogge (Yale University), a joint initiative with the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) and with the support the European Commission (Bucharest, May 2015).
A TRULY INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE FOR A GLOBAL FUTURE
- Around 10-15% of students in each class are foreign nationals who are enrolled for a degree or an exchange mobility;
- All students can benefit from at least one semester of European mobility in one of the over 70 universities and programs from Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Poland, Spain, Sweden and Turkey with which the faculty has bilateral agreements;
- All professors have studied abroad in prestigious higher education institutions with top programs in the fields of Political Science and international relations in Europe and US such as University of Oxford, Central European University, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Università degli Studi di Bologna and Penn State University;
- Every year, for courses or special lectures the program receives guest professors from the US and other countries in Europe and Asia;
- The members of the teaching staff participate every year to international conference organized in top universities such as Harvard University, Columbia University, University of Cambridge, University of Singapore, or by the most important international professional organizations in the field – International Political Science Association (IPSA), International Studies Association (ISA), European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR), American Political Science Association (APSA);
- A part of the teaching staff is also conducting international research projects and does fieldwork abroad in Europe, Asia, and Latin America, often involving students in their research activities;
- Each year, there are several international events organized for the students and to which student can contribute.
LINGUISTIC OPENINGS FOR A GLOBAL LABOUR MARKET
- All courses are taught and examined in English throughout the entire program;
- All students are also enrolled in specialized English language courses, which help them consolidate their basic language skills and allow them to acquire the relevant vocabulary and linguistic proficiency required by top international employers;
- During the first year, students also start courses for developing basic or advanced skills in a second foreign language;
- Many professors speak at least another foreign language apart from English and their native language;
- Romanian citizens graduating from the program are entitled to obtain the certificate of a sworn translator from the Romanian Ministry of Justice without passing any further examination.
A PROGRAM FOR A SUCCESSFUL CAREER
All students are enrolled for one full academic year in internship activities, which are recognized as part of their curriculum and workload for their degree.
The organizations in which the internship can be implemented are selected from all major sectors relevant to careers in International relations, in Europe or elsewhere:
- governmental institutions such as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and foreign embassies in Bucharest;
- representations of various intergovernmental organizations such as the United Nations agencies and the EU institutions;
- top national and international non-governmental organizations (NGOs);
- media outlets with sections dedicated to European or international affairs;
- national and transnational companies;
- academic and/or policy research centers with projects relevant for international relations and/or European studies.
The activities pursued during the internship allows students
- to develop their practical skills in matters related to international relations and/or European affairs;
- to test several areas of interest and find the most appropriate one for them;
- to understand what is expected from them within the labor market;
- to have direct access to potential employers; to build professional networks relevant for their future careers.
About the School
In general, both within the country and abroad, the University of Bucharest is considered to be the most important educational, research and cultural institution in Romania. During its 150 years of ex ... Read More