The BA in Hotel, Tourism and Event Management provides a broad knowledge on the wider hotel, tourism and event industries. The program covers business principles of the hotel, tourism and event enterprises, including revenue and pricing, financial management, culinary business management, human resource management, as well as tourism management, destination planning and sustainable development, event organization and international strategic marketing practices. Students also gain practical training in front-of-house tasks such as service techniques, rooms division management, and food hygiene.
Objectives & Outcomes
- To communicate to students the social, moral and ethical values necessary as the foundation of one's relationship to others and one's responsibilities to the community.
- To provide students with a broadly relevant knowledge, competences and ethical aspects related to business and management studies.
- Apply strategic management principles to accomplish goals and objectives of contemporary organizations.
- To develop the analytical, decision-making and communication competencies of students and cultivate their self-reliance, responsibility, integrity and self-awareness which will project personal achievement and contribution to organizations.
- To provide the student with the necessary requirements for academic and/or career advancements.
- To develop a student’s knowledge of contemporary hotel, tourism and event management to prepare them for employment within the sector.
- To provide a series of management theories and concepts as well as their implications for making sound and ethical decisions, analyze, and resolve business problems.
- To apply effective and efficient strategic and operational management tools within the tourism sector.
- To develop a critical insight for hotel, tourism and event management issues in the dynamic, interrelated and multidimensional industries of hotel, tourism and events.
- To offer insight through the connection of theory and practice in the real business world, for the sustainable development and management of tourist, hotel and event industries.
The successful learners from the program will be able to:
- Demonstrate the theoretical knowledge, practical and inter-personal skills and the social responsibility required to pursue a management career in the hotel, tourism and event industries.
- Distinguish and appraise the role of the diverse organizations within the hospitality and tourism industries and their between relationship(s) in a national and international context.
- Synthesize hands-on decisions and policy solutions on matters related to hotel, tourism and event operations.
- Choose a career path for a range of options within the hotel, tourism and event enterprises and/or progress to higher level programs.
- Recognize the requirements of the changing environment in which the tourism sector and its industries function, through innovative, flexible and creative management approaches.
- Critically analyze and evaluate contemporary issues within the subject areas of hotel, tourism and event management.
- Employ and implement effectively and efficiently strategic and operational management techniques emphasizing sustainability within the entire tourism sector.
- Develop a sensitivity to needs of consumers, and a general ‘customer orientation’ within the hotel, tourism and event industries.
Front Office Management, Food and Beverage Management, Housekeeping Management, Resort Management, Conference Center Management, Employment in National Tourist Authorities, Event Management and Organization, Special Interest Tourism, Public Relations in Hotel, Tourism and Events, Tourism Consultants, Contract and Outside Catering, Clubs, as well as Hotel Inspector Positions in National Tourism Organizations.
Careers & Employment
Graduates of Hotel, Tourism and Event Management will be able to actualize the management of hotel units, formulate policies and promote interventions for strengthening tourist destinations, develop and project alternative forms of tourism, as well as plan and organize conferences, exhibitions and events.
- Communication skills
- Ability to solve problems
- Very Good computer skills
- Anthropocentric spirit
- Organization & Efficiency
- Event organizations
- Cultural organizations
- Organization of Events Officer
- Hotel/motel manager
- Travel consultant
- Officer at a Tourism Unit
- Tourism Officer in a travel agency
- Resort manager
- Festival director
- Food service manager
Graduate / Professional Studies
International organizations may request as additional academic qualifications a Master of Business Administration (MBA).
For a career in the academic field and in higher education, it is desirable to have a doctorate (Ph.D.) which also offers experience and skills directly linked to research.
Work Experience Program European University Cyprus
The Work Experience Program Administration of Hotel, Tourism and Event Management enables the industry students to be employed during the summer season in Hotel and Tourism Establishments all over Cyprus for internships. The European University of Cyprus has agreements with prestigious Tourist Resorts in Cyprus where students are trained to give their services in various segments.
Program taught in: