The Geography Department was established in 1977, and it continually changes its curriculum to meet the ever-changing market demands. Its foci of research activities include, but are not exclusive to the geography of UAE and the Arab world, urbanization and transportation, population growth, globalization, global climate change, resource management, water resources, agricultural and manufacturing activities, the geography of crime and health services, spatial and analytical techniques necessary to understand them and using the new tools of geography, Remote Sensing and Geographical Information Systems. The Department in cooperation with other Departments within the University had started in 2005 the Master Program of Remote Sensing and GIS. The growing significance of Geography in the UAE was recognized on January 4, 2010, with the formation of the UAE Geographical Society. As the only tertiary institution in the UAE offering geography degrees, our Department has taken a leading role in promoting the discipline, with several faculty elected to offices in the society.
- To provide students with the theoretical and practical foundation (knowledge) in physical and human geography, geospatial science (Cartography, GIS, Remote Sensing), and urban planning.
- To equip students with critical thinking and geospatial technical skills.
- To prepare students for conducting quantitative and qualitative researches and embedding ethics in social and environmental problems.
- To produce multidisciplinary graduates who can contribute to the development of UAE in particular and the world in general.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Discuss physical Geography and human aspects and the interaction between them.
- Use Geoinformatics related software effectively.
- Evaluate the human impact on the natural environment.
- Effectively communicate geographical ideas orally and in writing.
- Conduct research addressing local urban planning and global environmental issues.
- Demonstrate ethical reasoning in relation to Geography and Urban Planning issues.
- Develop organizational, teamwork and leadership skills.
About the School
The United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling approximately 13,900 students, with more than 900 faculty and 65,000 alumni holding key positions ... Read More