Film and Media Arts at Messiah College
From classroom to clapboard, the film and media arts Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree program will immerse you in both the technical and creative aspects of the growing field of film and media arts.
Messiah’s well-regarded film and media arts program provides significant opportunities for internships at all levels of media production, and prepares you for a career in production, screenwriting, directing, editing or cinematography.
Film and media arts major distinctives
As a film and media arts major at Messiah College, you'll be able to:
- Acquire training in digital production and editing, 16 mm film production, cinematography, basic directing, screenwriting, and advanced filmmaking techniques such as lighting and sound.
- Explore documentary making, basic special effects and topics in new and digital media. Our coursework is constantly updated to reflect new advancements in the film industry.
- Create your own films during your time as a student with the potential to screen it at the College's annual Humanities Symposium; at "Splice," the annual juried student film festival; or even submit to local and national festivals for consideration.
- Utilize our new 1,740 square-foot media lab facility in Hostetter Chapel, which features and endless floor green screen (as well as several portable green screens); a control room; a Foley sound studio which includes a sound booth, Foley pits (for putting various materials inside and creating sounds), a large monitor, microphones, and a computer station with Pro-tools and audio mixing equipment; and new equipment - including HD cameras and cinematic-quality cameras like the Blackmagic and a RED Epic (the same camera used to film "The Hobbit").
- Learn from faculty members who are professionals in the film and media arts industry.
Career options for film and media arts majors
As a graduate of the film and media arts program, students are equipped to secure jobs such as:
- Independent screenwriter
- Production assistant
- Animation assistant
- Post-production director
- Post-production assistant
- Photography assistant
- Lighting lead
- Video producer
- Audio/visual coordinator
- Production assistant
Internship opportunities for film and media arts majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of film and media arts internships. A few examples include:
- Warner Brothers
- JPL Creative in Harrisburg, Pa.
Messiah College is currently fully accredited by NASAD (National Association of Schools of Art and Design), and the film and media arts program is one of the few programs within the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU) where you will master both film and high definition video production.
You will further enhance your professional skills and gain real-world experience through a required internship, which many students secure at a major film studio (Sony, Warner Brothers, Universal or Paramount) through Temple’s Los Angeles Film Studies Center. Students also have access to locally based Pennsylvania internships.
Another distinct resource for our film students includes using our brand new 1,740 square-foot media lab facility in Hostetter Chapel. The space includes studio cameras, news set, studio lights and a corner-placed, endless floor green screen (as well as several portable green screens); a control room with computer stations and monitors that control the audio, switcher, graphics, teleprompter and color correction; and a Foley studio for sound effects and other audio creation in film and media post-production (including a sound booth, Foley pits (for putting various materials inside and creating sounds), a large monitor, microphones, and a computer station with Pro-tools and audio mixing equipment. The renovation also includes new equipment resources, including field kits for sound and lighting, HD cameras, and cinematic-quality cameras including five Blackmagics and a RED Epic.
Messiah College offers several scholarships including the Provost’s and College Honors Programs Scholarships each with different academic requirements and deadlines. We must receive all application materials by January 15th for highest scholarship consideration.
International citizens may be awarded additional financial aid on a case-by-case basis using the information provided on the International Student Scholarship Application (I.S.S.A.). The link to the I.S.S.A. form is emailed to students along with their admissions decision letter. That means the sooner the admissions process is completed, the sooner students can apply for financial aid and receive a package.
After subtracting academic scholarship and financial aid monies, international students pay between US$20,000-$30,000 each year for four years. The U.S. Embassy will deny student visa requests if the student cannot show supporting financial documents to pay this amount for college expenses. This is a government rule, not college rule.
We can accept your application, official transcript and test score at any time during the year. You must select which term you would be entering. There are two intakes during each academic year - in late August for our Fall term, and late January for our Spring term.
About the School
Messiah College is a nationally ranked, private Christian college with a student body of 3,305 undergraduate and graduate students. Located in Mechanicsburg, Pa., Messiah is just 12 miles from the sta ... Read More