Why study a degree in English today?
The English Major Programme offers excellent opportunities for students to develop
- disciplinary knowledge in English language and literature with a cross-cultural perspective.
- written and verbal communication skills.
- critical thinking skills and appreciation of creative writing.
- leadership skills and teamwork techniques.
- awareness of international values, including overseas study and/or work experience.
These are valuable assets for global citizens and leaders of the 21st century.
What is the English Major Programme?
The English Major Programme provides students with
- rigorous disciplinary training in English language and linguistics, comparative literature, and literature written in English.
- comparative and cross-cultural perspectives on, as well as approaches to, English language and linguistics, literary studies, and creative writing.
- useful critical and analytical tools when addressing issues related to language, literature and culture in everyday life.
What are the special features of the English Major Programme at HKBU?
The Programme offers students a variety of study routes in the form of "concentrations" within their Major, and "Minors" outside their Major, to meet individual interests, goals and needs flexibly.
Concentration: Students can use their major elective units to concentrate their study on a focused area within their Major, namely, "Literary and Comparative Studies" or "Language and Communication Studies" in their third and fourth years. Students may also choose a "flexible" concentration within the Major by accumulating sufficient units leading to a "General Studies" concentration.
Minor: Students may use their free elective units to develop a Minor in an area outside their Major programme. Depending on individual interests, students may choose any approved Minor programme on offer, such as Creative Writing, Theatre Studies, Marketing, Journalism, etc.
Priscilla Du Preez / Unsplash
What other special learning opportunities are available in the English Major Programme?
We offer a broad array of extra- and co-curricular activities, including overseas exchange and other programmes.
Overseas Exchange Programmes
Students may choose to go overseas on study exchange for one or two semesters in order to
- experience a new culture.
- improve their language proficiency and cross-cultural perspective.
- enhance their career prospects.
- improve their interpersonal skills.
- develop their leadership skills.
Work Attachment Programme
Students can also join programmes organized by the Office of Student Affairs and work overseas in the summer. Popular placement choices include Disneyland in Florida, the American Red Cross in Atlanta and Chicago, and other worthwhile destinations.
Awards and Scholarships
Each year up to a dozen awards and scholarships may be offered to ENG students who demonstrate outstanding performance in academic or related areas.
Students have also enjoyed participating in extra-curricular activities, such as the Harvard National Model United Nations, the Hall Tutorship Programme, Leadership Training Programmes, and the Global Citizen Programme, among many others, so as to develop their leadership skills.
What about my Career Paths or Job Opportunities after HKBU?
Teaching has long been a reliable career choice for many of our graduates. Some have chosen to work in government departments or with top accountancy and business firms. Others have opted to build careers in the creative arts or in public relations. Our Programme has produced pop songwriters, novelists, lawyers, immigration officers, bankers, journalists, translators, editors, university professors, entrepreneurs, politicians, and many more. With a BA English Language and Literature degree, you will soon discover that the world is your oyster!
Medium of Instruction
The medium of instruction for formal classroom teaching is English, except for those courses that are granted exemption.
About the School
The Faculty of Arts is an essential part of Hong Kong Baptist University, an institution that is firmly committed to being ”a leading liberal arts university in Asia for the world delivering academic ... Read More