Digital Media at Messiah College
Kick your creative energy and storytelling talents into high gear by pursuing a digital media degree at Messiah College, one of the top private Christian colleges in the U.S.
Digital media is an emerging field, and the multimedia communication skills you’ll develop through our core courses for this major will prepare you to meet the growing demand for digital media specialists in a wide variety of fields.
Digital media major distinctives
As a Digital Media major at Messiah College, you’ll be able to:
- Focus on a particular area of digital media that is of interest to you.
- Take plenty of interesting electives or additional digital media courses.
- Take part in a collaborative digital media project in your senior year.
- Prepare for a career as a Web, graphic, sound or game designer; video editor; mobile application or game programmer; or minister of worship.
- Study in one of the 40 study abroad locations offered by Messiah College.
- Sharpen your skills in our studios dedicated to digital art, digital video and digital audio, and work in the new Calvin and Janet High Center for Worship and Performing Arts which has state-of-the-art digital equipment as well as two iMac labs dedicated to theater and music technology.
- Practice your skills in our new studio space which includes a green room, foley studio and fully equipped control room.
Career options for digital media majors
As a graduate of the digital media program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Web designer
- Sound designer
- Game designer
- Video editor
- Mobile application programmer
- Game programmer
- Graphic designer
- Minister of worship (church media)
Internship opportunities for digital media majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of digital media internships. A few examples include:
- Krone Group Advertising and Design
- AdAbility, Inc.
- D2 Media
- The Hartford Courant
- Central PA Magazine
- Messiah College Press and Marketing and Communications Office
- CURE International
- Turkey Hill
Departments offering courses in the digital media major
As a digital media major, you can choose from four different concentrations. Each concentration is offered through a different campus department.
- The art and design concentration is offered through the Department of Visual Arts.
- The digital video and story concentration is offered through the Department of Communication.
- The mobile applications and game design concentration is offered through the Department of Computer and Information Science.
- The church media concentration is offered through the Department of Theatre and Dance.
At Messiah College, we offer four very different and practical digital media concentrations within this interdepartmental major: art and design, digital video and story, mobile applications and game design, and church media. Regardless of which of our four concentrations you choose, the core courses Messiah offers in digital video, sound design, computer science and visual art provide you with a solid foundation for a career in digital communications.
You won’t have to wait to test out your skills in a business setting, because you can also get real-world experience at Messiah by participating in one of our digital media internships. You’ll take part in a collaborative digital media project during your senior year and practice your skills in the new film and media production studio—newly opened in 2015—that includes a green room, foley studio, fully-equipped control room and more. You may even choose to study at one of our 40 study abroad locations worldwide!
Through your coursework and hands-on experience, you will prepare for a career as a web, graphic, sound or game designer; video editor; mobile application or game programmer; or minister of worship.
Messiah College offers several scholarships including the Provost’s and College Honors Programs Scholarships each with different academic requirements and deadlines. We must receive all application materials by January 15th for highest scholarship consideration.
International citizens may be awarded additional financial aid on a case-by-case basis using the information provided on the International Student Scholarship Application (ISSA). The link to the ISSA form is emailed to students along with their admissions decision letter. That means the sooner the admissions process is completed, the sooner students can apply for financial aid and receive a package.
After subtracting academic scholarship and financial aid monies, international students pay between US$20,000-$30,000 each year for four years. The U.S. Embassy will deny student visa requests if the student cannot show supporting financial documents to pay this amount for college expenses. This is a government rule, not college rule.
We can accept your application, official transcript and test score at any time during the year. You must select which term you would be entering. There are two intakes during each academic year - in late August for our Fall term, and late January for our Spring term.