At HELBUS Helsinki School of Business, you can now earn your Bachelor of Arts in Business and Management degree at an accelerated (two year) pace whilst studying in an international environment. There are many reasons why we believe that we offer the most exciting undergraduate business education in Finland. Here are just a few of them:
- The student experience is core to what we do aiming to provide a personalised learning experience for our students. Our staff are friendly and take pride in supporting students throughout their academic journey from guiding applicants to graduation and alumni activities.
- Courses are delivered by our inspiring team of international teaching faculty, most of whom have PhDs and wide teaching experience in their fields of expertise.
- Our learning environment is engaging and interactive and aims at challenging your thinking and build your confidence for all your future endeavours.
- Although you will study in Finland, you will earn your degree (Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Business and Management) from the University of Northampton (UoN), a well-known university in England with roots dating to the 13th century. UoN takes pride in having achieved a 95 % employability rate of its graduates for the last five years and was awarded a Gold standard for the Teaching Excellent Framework in the UK.
- All studies are delivered and assessed in English, which will provide you with a solid foundation for a career in international business.
- The study programme is very intense, but you will also be able to see regular progress in your studies. The entire Bachelor’s will take six terms to complete. As there are three terms per academic year, it will take just two calendar years to complete the three-year studies in the full-time programme. This is remarkably fast compared to the programme speed of comparable programmes.
- Normally, state universities offer no qualification after two years of study. At HELBUS, you will earn your first internationally recognised diploma already after two years of studies (Higher National Diploma), before continuing to your third year.
- You can complete the first two years either in the full-time mode with classes five days a week, or fully online, with virtual evening classes and a longer completion cycle. The third-year is currently offered in the full-time delivery mode with classes scheduled for the mornings.
- With the BA (Hons) in Business and Management, you can apply for Master’s programmes continuing at HELBUS or anywhere in the world, or start your career in international business.
The curriculum at HELBUS has been designed to provide you with the skills and knowledge to be able to succeed in international business. In years one and two, you will develop a strong foundation in diverse areas of business and management, such as
- human resource management and
- organisational behaviour
and learn how these are integrated within the wider the business environment. In your third year, you will expand on these competencies and deepen your theoretical and practice knowledge in the core fields, while simultaneously advancing your individual and group skills.
In the first two years, you will earn 240 UK credits (equivalent to 120 ECTS) – over 15 modules. In the third year, you will study an additional six modules worth 120 UK credits. Overall, the BA (Hons) degree will consist of 360 UK credits (equivalent 180 ECTS credits).
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
Studying in the full-time programme
Would you like to earn your degree quickly and get a head start in building your international network? Do you have the time and motivation to dedicate yourself to attending class daily?
The first two years of the full-time programme are delivered in intensive consecutive units, each lasting for just three weeks. You will have the chance to establish close relationships with each of your international instructors, as typically they visit Finland from their home universities and countries for the specific purpose of delivering their HELBUS unit. Experience has shown that the risk of dropping out is reduced significantly in this intensive modular learning methodology as compared to more traditional methods, and your academic progress will be tangible from the first weeks of study. Classes are held in Helsinki five days a week between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m.
If you have any of the following secondary education qualifications, you are eligible to apply to HELBUS:
- Education abroad that would provide eligibility for academic higher education studies in that particular country.
- International Baccalaureate examination.
- Finnish matriculation examination.
- Vocational secondary education with a minimum duration of three years in Finland, or a vocational adult education qualification.
If you are completing your matriculation or IB exam in the spring, you can still submit an application and receive a conditional admission offer. The offer will be made unconditional after you receive your final diploma.
For non-EU citizens:
Please note that currently, we can admit non-EU students who don’t have residence permits in Finland only to our online program, because the immigration does currently not grant residence permits based on studying at private educational institutions. If you have a residence permit to Finland on some other grounds than studying, you are welcome to apply to our on campus programmes too.
How to apply?
HELBUS admissions are based on essay questions and interviews gauging your motivation, strengths, and future career aspirations. We look for applicants who can provide balanced and well-thought arguments in their essay questions and demonstrate the level of communication required in higher education studies.
Applying is easy. Simply fill in the application form in the brown box below and upload scanned copies of your upper secondary school diplomas and other required documents. You can save your application and return to complete it at any time. Remember to hit “submit” when you have completed everything.
When to apply?
You can apply throughout the year. The available start dates and application deadlines depend on your background, as more time will be needed to apply for a residence permit.
What documents do you need to apply?
The minimum entry requirements for Bachelor’s studies are similar across most applicant groups, but the documentation required varies. For your application to be complete, please check here that you have provided the following documentation:
|Finnish citizens||EU/EEA citizens||Non-EU citizens|
|Online application form completed and submitted||●||●||●|
|Photo uploaded in your application||●||●||●|
|Upper secondary schooling leaving certificate (1)||●*||●*||●|
|Certificate of English language (A1) proficiency||(2)||(2)||(3)|
|Transcripts and certificates of any other post-secondary education, if applicable||●||●||●**|
|Copy of passport||●||●|
|Copy of residence permit||●|
(1) Upper secondary school leaving certificate is your high school or matriculation diploma, a diploma from your 3-year vocational college programme, or similar document from your home country that states that you have the eligibility to apply for higher education studies. The document must be in English, Finnish or Swedish, or officially translated into English.
(2) If you are an applicant from Finland or the EU/EEA, you do not need a formal English language proficiency test for your application, but you should demonstrate sufficient English skills in the application form and your high school diploma. Please note that sufficient English skills are an absolute necessity to be able to understand and contribute to the courses effectively.
(3) If you are a non-EU citizen, IELTS 6.0 with no section below 5.5 is required, or similar for Bachelor’s programmes and an overall score of 6.5 for the MBA. Citizens of the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand do not need an English language proficiency test.
*You can apply even before receiving the final results of your matriculation exam. In such cases, you may receive a conditional offer that will be made unconditional after you send us your final results.
** Non-EU students who need a student residence permit must have another first degree that they want to complement with business and management studies. This condition is not applicable to those who already have a residence in Finland due to other reasons, such as family.
The admissions process
1. For EU citizens and those who do NOT need a student residence permit
- You can start your studies any time a new course module starts during the fall term up until January (every three weeks).
- There is no entrance examination.
- After you have completed the application form, uploaded the required documents and submitted the application, we will review it and send you an interview invitation. This interview can be held by telephone or Skype.
- You will receive the admission decision by email normally within two weeks of the interview.
- To confirm your study place, a confirmation invoice may be sent, which will be reimbursed in the first tuition fee invoice.
- Closer to the start of your studies you will receive the New Student Letter informing you of practical details of starting your studies.
Accepting a study place at HELBUS will not affect your first-time applicant status in the Finnish state university system.
2. For non-EU citizens who need a student residence permit
(Please note that currently, we can admit non-EU students who don't have residence permits in Finland to only to our onlne program, because the immigration currently does not grant residence permits based on studying at private tertiary level institutions. If you have a residence permit to Finland on some other grounds that studying, you are welcome to apply to our programmes.)
The tuition fees for Finnish, other EU/EEA and non-EU students are the same in the undergraduate programmes, although payment schedules differ due to the government policy on student residence permits.
On-campus tuition: €28.230 (total)
Due to having three terms in a calendar year, the second-year studies in the full-time programme start already in the Summer term, around April, after the fall and spring term. Non-EU students, who need a student residence permit for the duration of their studies, must pay their first year’s tuition fees before coming to Finland. If a non-EU student has a residence permit for other reasons such as family, they can follow the payment schedule for Finnish students.
- The tuition fees include a wide range of e-learning resources, but if the student wants their own textbook it will be procured at own cost.
- All students should have a laptop with MS Office and an internet connection.
- Tuition fees include the value-added tax (VAT). If the government increases the tax from the current 24 %, the tuition fees will increase respectively. If the VAT is reduced, or abolished fully or partially, there will be no reduction in the tuition fee.
- Confirmation fee: HELBUS may charge a one-time confirmation fee (300-500€ depending on programme) before the start of studies to secure your study place. By paying the confirmation fee, you will confirm your acceptance of the study place. The fee will be reimbursed in the first tuition fee payment. If you do not start your studies, the paid confirmation fee will not be reimbursed.
- Cancellation fee policy: You can cancel your participation to the programme by email before the start of a new term. However, tuition fees that have already been paid will not be returned. Your tuition fee payment will be returned to the payer only if you are not given a residence permit by the Finnish Immigration Service and inform HELBUS about this decision.
- If the student must retake a unit in the next year, or transfer to the online programme for a given unit, a 200-250 euro retake/transfer fee will be administered per unit. In the third year, the retake and deferral fee is 817 euros per module. Details are found in the written contract signed by the student at the beginning of studies.
- Unfortunately, we are unable to offer any scholarships.
- If attending the full-time programme, you should budget at least €1.000 per month for living costs in Helsinki, although this cost will depend on your accommodation and lifestyle.
BA student stories
“My already high expectations have been exceeded. I really value the school’s international environment and inspirational teachers. There is a supportive atmosphere in class, which is supported by wonderful people and the Student Core. The small class sizes are great because we get so much more personalised instruction than we would elsewhere, and the experienced instructors bring a range of cultural styles with them that help to engage the class. It is really interesting to learn from different instructor experiences and background, and be exposed to new ways of looking at things. Now that I am entering the job market, I have also found that employers have been very receptive to my education and being a student at HELBUS has really helped me stand out.“
“The prospect of studying at HELBUS appealed to me as I was very keen to study business in English in an international environment. The programme has been rewarding, with exposure to a truly international faculty the clear highlight for me. The programme has been intensive and finding the right balance between school and other life took a while. Studying in English felt challenging to begin with as well, but as I worked hard I felt quickly more comfortable with my skills and I feel that I have learned so much as a result. One of the best things to come from my studies has been learning how to challenge myself further!“
"The idea of studying business in English really appealed to me as I’ve always planned on developing an international career for myself. HELBUS provided a great opportunity, not just to improve my language skills, but also to meet fascinating instructors and develop contacts in business schools and companies around the world without leaving Helsinki. Everyone at HELBUS is helpful and friendly, and the system whereby we only study one unit at a time is ideal for me as it allows me to focus on one task at a time. Overall, the curriculum is well-rounded and certainly provides the generalist introduction to business that I was hoping for when I applied. At the end of my four terms at HELBUS, I’m looking forward to the opportunity to complete my Bachelor’s degree abroad, and then possibly start working towards a postgraduate MBA."
"I originally applied to HELBUS as I was moving to Finland and wanted to continue my studies in an international environment. HELBUS made the process of transferring the study credits I had already earned in Hawaii incredibly easy and I have really appreciated the amount of student support on offer since starting my studies. As a foreign student, I especially value the school’s internationalism and continue to enjoy being exposed to instructors from all over the world and the unique teaching styles, ideas and experiences that they bring with them. The smaller class size really helps develop a sense of community among the students, and the three-week unit cycle means that we are able to develop connections with the instructors in a way that I haven’t experienced elsewhere. After HELBUS, I intend to earn an MBA in either the UK or the United States and then hopefully put the skills I’ve learned to good use and begin a career as an entrepreneur."
About the School
Enjoy the combination of the high quality of Finnish education and the high status of a UK degree. At HELBUS Helsinki School of Business you will earn a Bachelor or Masters degree in Business and Mana ... Read More