The Arabic Department's mission aims at preserving and enriching the Arabic Language as a written text and spoken discourse capable of reflecting the diversity and complexity of the Arabic/ Islamic culture and civilization. The Department is also determined to enhance and develop Arabic Language teaching and pedagogy in a sophisticated way in order to reinforce the Arabic / Islamic identity of the nation. Further, the Department aims to academically prepare a generation of graduates, holders of a college degree in Arabic Language and Literature, able to participate in the enrichment of the intellectual, cultural and educational institutions inside and outside UAE. As a center of cultural illumination and scholarship, the Arabic Department at UAEU supports multi-disciplinary activities promoting inter-civilizational dialogue and giving priority to genuine social values and moral traditions. In addition to a deep-rooted interest in Arabic literary heritage, the Department aims to build bridges with other cultures exploring new avenues of cultural diversity and integrating foreign language education in its curriculum.
- Developing students' knowledge of the language and organizing modern linguistic theories that students studied them.
- Developing students' knowledge of literature and criticism and deepening understanding of the heritage, Literature, and contemporary literary and critical theories.
- Giving students the skills that would enable them to exercise good reading, comprehension, and expression.
- Developing methods of scientific research and critical thinking.
- Developing love and faith to the homeland, nation, language and belief in human values.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Form the structure of the word according to dictionaries and Morphological rules.
- Mention verbal changes, meters, and meanings.
- Control vocabulary use grammatically according to language standards.
- Shape linguistic structures correctly according to grammatical rules.
- Demonstrate knowledge of modern linguistic theories in the analysis of the structures and detecting their implications.
- Explain literary text and revealing meaning, purpose, and images.
- Show the most important critical issues addressed by the old critics.
- Demonstrate knowledge of modern theories of criticism.
- Listen to the most important sources of literary heritage, rhetoric, criticism and their authors.
- know famous (the figures) poets, writers, and their ages and literary production.
- Read the text correctly without linguistic or stylistic errors.
- Express orally and accurate expression of the meanings and purposes of the texts.
- Criticize the text objectively.
- Analyze text in a literary and Scientific way.
- Explain the literary image revealing the elements of its aesthetic values.
- Specify the subject of the search to allow Innovation and creativity
- Specify the method and the plan that suit the search subject.
- Use the Library and Network in obtaining sources and the preparation of the scientific subject
- Discuss opinions and views rationally and scientifically.
- Write search in a way that demonstrates scientific thinking and linguistic aesthetics.
- Provide evidence of the impact of our Arabic creativity in human heritage
- Express writings that show the richness of language and its ability to deal with the modern age.
- Demonstrate pride in the nation, faith, and richness of Arabic and Islamic culture and Heritage.
- Collaborate with others to accomplish the scientific goals of teamwork research.
About the School
The United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) is a comprehensive, research-intensive university enrolling approximately 13,900 students, with more than 900 faculty and 65,000 alumni holding key positions ... Read More