The aim of this programme is to provide students with the creative skills and knowledge that are necessary for a successful career in advertising. The objective is to enable students to create and produce effective advertising based on marketing research, consumer behaviour study, strategic planning, creative concepts, art direction, copywriting, design techniques, communication skills and social responsibility. An understanding of the Hong Kong and Chinese mainland markets in the context of economic, cultural, social and technological development will underpin the curriculum. Our all-round approach to develop students’ professional and generic competence sets it apart from other universities or colleges.
Is Advertising Design for you?
Yes, if you say ’yes‘ to the following questions.
- Do you possess a passion for persuasion centred on the relationship between image and word?
- Do you have the desire to succeed in a highly competitive industry and the ability to work under pressure?
- Is your personality flexible and sociable with a strategic and enquiring mind? (Agency life is all about getting on with people, being able to work in a team and being able to convince clients of the merit of advertising proposals.)
- Do you have a good command of English and Chinese languages?
Students of the 4-years programme are required to complete a total of 124 credits in order to graduate; including 30 credits earned from General University Requirements subjects, 23 from Common Compulsory Subjects, and 71 from Discipline-Specific and Elective Subjects.
Senior year students are required to complete a total of 62–63 credits in order to graduate; including 9 credits earned from General University Requirements subjects, 12 from Common Compulsory Subjects, and 41 from Discipline-Specific and Elective Subjects.
The School of Design welcomes applications from students with a board range of academic and cultural interests. Students who have an interest in design, liberal studies, visual arts and/or other cultural and technology disciplines are encouraged to apply to the programme.
- GCE A-level / International A-level
GCE Advanced Level or International Advanced Level with passes in 3 AL, OR 2 AL and 2 AS, subjects
(This is only the minimum eligibility criteria. Applicants who gain admission, typically, attain at least BBB in 3 AL subjects.)
- International Baccalaureate (IB)
A minimum score of 24 with at least grade 4 in 2 Higher Level subjects
(This is only the minimum eligibility criteria. Applicants who gain admission, typically, attain a score of 30 or above, including bonus points.)
- SAT Reasoning Test/ACT/Advanced Placement Test/SAT Subject Tests
A High School (Graduation) Diploma (non-Chinese curriculum) and any one of the following:
- a total score of 1190 in the SAT Reasoning Test; or
- an American College Test (ACT) composite score of 24; and
- grade 3 in two Advanced Placement (AP) subjects; or
- a score of 600 in two SAT Subject Tests
[English language requirement is waived for those attaining a score of 590 in the Evidence-based Reading and Writing in the SAT]
- Applicants must have excellent scores in the college entrance examination and good English scores. Please click here to check the average scores of applicants admitted by our school in various provinces and cities last year.
- Applicants who have won the provincial first prize or above in the recognized subject competition will be eligible for interview selection. Applicants who pass the interview can enjoy preferential policies for undergraduate admission. Please click here for the details and the list of awards in the recognized discipline competition.
- Applicants who have outstanding performance in other non-academic fields [for example: have achieved outstanding results in art, music (for example Chopin International Piano Competition), sports and other non-academic fields], may also be admitted.
- Applicants must submit a portfolio (for example design major) and additional documents (for example social policy and social entrepreneurship) to participate in the interview as a reference for selection. Applicants can browse the online admission application system to check the relevant arrangements during the application period. Applicants who need to participate in the interview will be notified by the relevant department.
- This programme does not consider second choice applications.
- All applicants MUST submit their portfolios. Please download portfolios guidelines for preparation. Applications without portfolios will not be processed.
The Advertising Design programme will prepare students for careers in the advertising industry as art directors, copywriters, interactive designers, account executives, and marketing executives.
About the School
With 80 years of proud tradition, PolyU is a world-class research university, ranking among the world’s top 100 institutions. The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) is a home for educating think ... Read More