A student entering a communications-oriented career must be broadly educated to understand the constantly changing society in which he or she functions professionally to interpret those changes for readers, viewers, and clients. He or she must also have a high skill level in all forms of communication.
This programme combines a sound liberal arts curriculum with theoretical and practical courses in mass communications.
The programme has the following general objectives:
- to provide educational opportunities in the fields of print media, radio and television, public relations and advertising
- to allow students to build upon that theoretical foundation with practical experience in his or her field of study
- to stimulate an awareness in each student of the rights and ethical responsibilities of those working in the media
- The Bachelor of Arts degree programme was established in 1992 and it is the first and most established
American Mass Communications programme in Singapore. The benefits of the programme are as follows :
- One of Singapore's most established American Mass Communications programme with successful track record since 1992
- American Mass Communications programme is innovative and considered to be the pioneer in this area
- Consistently produced top quality professionals for the mass communications industry
- Fully taught by senior-level faculty from the university. These lecturers bring with them to the classroom a wealth of academic and professional experience
- Real-time TV production at OCU campus studio (only programme that incorporates practical module)
- Internships and industrial attachment opportunities are available through our Career Assistance Unit
The grade will be based on the quality of the students' performance in the following areas:
- Pre and post assignments and projects
- Class presentations / case studies
- A final examination
The weighting for each area will be decided by the faculty and are usually made known to the students at first meeting if they are not stated in the course outline.
Students who successfully complete the programme will be awarded the prestigious Bachelor of Arts (in Liberal Studies with the concentration in Mass Communications) awarded directly by Oklahoma City University, USA. The degree will be the same as that awarded to the full-time students at the university main campus.
Structure and Duration
Full-Time Programme (for International students only)
- 18 months
- 100% taught by the university senior faculty
- Modular programme structure comprising of 14 modules
- A minimum of 9 days of consecutive lessons per module
- Includes a 3-week on-campus residency at the university which involves real-time TV production at OCU campus studio (only programme that incorporates practical module)
Applicants must be of age 16 and above and meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Advanced Diploma in Mass Communications awarded by MDIS and validated by Oklahoma City University
- A Polytechnic Diploma in any discipline
- NAFA Diploma holders in the following areas:
- Visual Communication
- Graphic Design
- Communication Design
- Other relevant diplomas may be considered for admission on a case-by-case basis
All applications are subjected to final approval by Oklahoma City University, USA.
Other equivalent qualification may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
About the School
The Management Development Institute of Singapore (MDIS), founded in 1956, is Singapore’s oldest not-for-profit professional institute for lifelong learning. MDIS has two main subsidiaries: Management ... Read More