It is hoped that students, after completing the programme, will be able:
- To investigate the development of human society from a historical perspective;
- To demonstrate the power of critical thinking and analytical ability in understanding historical events;
- To show in-depth knowledge of the heritage of China and other great civilizations;
- To pursue graduate studies in history or a related discipline; and
- To enter various fields outside history, such as the civil service, business, publishing, and teaching.
This programme is one of the Broad-based Admission Programmes in the Faculty of Social Sciences, HKBU. Upon the completion of the 1st year of study, students may apply for History, Geography, Government & International Studies or Sociology as their Major based on individual interest and academic performance. (For details of Broad-based Admission Programmes, please go to http://sosc.hkbu.edu.hk/bap/.)
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes (PILO)
Students, who have completed the four-year programme successfully, will be able to:
- acquire a sound understanding of major historical factors and movements that shape the growth of the human community.
- demonstrate an in-depth and up-to-date knowledge of at least one of the following areas: (a) Chinese History, (b) World History, or (c) East-West Studies.
- apply advanced historical methods and innovative explanation models to conduct independent research for the pursuit of original and creative inquiries.
- trace the historical roots of contemporary issues and analyze the worldwide impact of individual historical events.
- communicate effectively historical knowledge in competent language and IT skills.
- appreciate the nature, values, uses and limitations of history as an academic discipline and the significance of historical knowledge.
- develop a critical and broadminded attitude toward traditions and cultural heritage of different civilizations to facilitate students’ search for the value and meanings of citizenship with an international outlook and a sense of civility.
Applicants must satisfy both the general university requirements and the special requirements of the programme. For details, please go to http://admissions.hkbu.edu.hk/en/.
The tuition fee of full-time undergraduate programmes for 2019-20 is HK$42,100 for local students and HK$140,000 for non-local students* respectively. Fees are to be paid in two equal instalments. (Currency conversion rate: US$1= HK$7.8)
Reasons for Choosing Hong Kong as a Study Destination
1.Be part of the “Chinese Adventure” with a Western heritage
2.Learning Chinese language and culture
3.Exciting and vibrant city with lots to do
4.Many multinational corporations based in Hong Kong
5.Window to China
6.Gateway to Southeast Asia