It is hoped that students, after completing the programme, will be able:
- To investigate the development of human society from a historical perspective;
- To demonstrate the power of critical thinking and analytical ability in understanding historical events;
- To show in-depth knowledge of the heritage of China and other great civilizations;
- To pursue graduate studies in history or a related discipline; and
- To enter various fields outside history, such as the civil service, business, publishing, and teaching.
This programme is one of the Broad-based Admission Programmes in the Faculty of Social Sciences, HKBU. Upon the completion of the 1st year of study, students may apply for History, Geography, Government & International Studies or Sociology as their Major based on individual interest and academic performance. (For details of Broad-based Admission Programmes, please go to http://sosc.hkbu.edu.hk/bap/.)
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes (PILO)
Students, who have completed the four-year programme successfully, will be able to:
- acquire a sound understanding of major historical factors and movements that shape the growth of the human community.
- demonstrate an in-depth and up-to-date knowledge of at least one of the following areas: (a) Chinese History, (b) World History, or (c) East-West Studies.
- apply advanced historical methods and innovative explanation models to conduct independent research for the pursuit of original and creative inquiries.
- trace the historical roots of contemporary issues and analyze the worldwide impact of individual historical events.
- communicate effectively historical knowledge in competent language and IT skills.
- appreciate the nature, values, uses and limitations of history as an academic discipline and the significance of historical knowledge.
- develop a critical and broadminded attitude toward traditions and cultural heritage of different civilizations to facilitate students’ search for the value and meanings of citizenship with an international outlook and a sense of civility.
Applicants must satisfy both the general university requirements and the special requirements of the programme. For details, please go to http://admissions.hkbu.edu.hk/en/.
The tuition fee of full-time undergraduate programmes for 2020-21 is HK$42,100 for local students and HK$140,000 for non-local students* respectively. Fees are to be paid in two equal instalments. (Currency conversion rate: US$1= HK$7.8)
Reasons for Choosing Hong Kong as a Study Destination
1.Be part of the “Chinese Adventure” with a Western heritage
2.Learning Chinese language and culture
3.Exciting and vibrant city with lots to do
4.Many multinational corporations based in Hong Kong
5.Window to China
6.Gateway to Southeast Asia
About the School
The Faculty of Social Sciences, Hong Kong Baptist University comprises seven departments: Education Studies, Geography, Government & International Studies, History, Sport, Physical Education & ... Read More