Bachelor of Art in Music
Peru State College Department of Music emphasizes the training of future music educators. However, students can obtain degrees in performance and music marketing, as well as music education. An endorsement in elementary music and a community music/studio teaching option is also available. Students can participate in a variety of performance groups. Vocalists may sing in the concert choir, women’s choir, and “Prestige” show choir. Auditions are held in the fall for membership in any of the choral ensembles. Instrumentalists can participate in the concert band, jazz band, woodwind, brass, and percussion ensembles. Students do not have to be music majors to participate in any of the ensembles. In addition to regular on-campus concerts, the choirs and bands make annual tours of the area high schools. The Department of Music stresses individual student attention and is committed to high-performance standards. Individual lessons are available in voice, piano, brass, woodwinds, and percussion instruments.
The Music Education (K-12 or K-6 endorsements), the Music Performance (non-teaching), the Music Marketing (non-teaching), Community Music and Private Studio, and the Music Minor (non-teaching) options are open to all students who have the ability to read music and perform on a wind or percussion instrument, piano, or as a vocalist. In addition, those students selecting either Music Education (K-12 or K-6) or Music Performance (non-teaching) will be conditionally accepted into the program and must satisfy two levels of qualification (see below) before being fully accepted into their selected program.
- To prepare undergraduates for successful careers in music education, performance, and music business
- To provide equitable access to the music programs for the diverse constituents of southeast Nebraska and the region as well as the rest of the state and the four-state region.
- To develop musical skills in all participating students, both individually, and through ensemble experiences.
- To promote high-quality cultural and aesthetic experiences, both individually, and through ensemble experiences.
- To support the mission of Peru State College.
About the School
Peru State’s “Campus of a Thousand Oaks,” a member of the Nebraska Statewide Arboretum, is nestled in the hills of historic southeast Nebraska on the Missouri River. The College offers a mix of innova ... Read More