Bachelor in Traditional and Folk Dance Studies
Traditional and Folk Dance Studies pulls together the components necessary to facilitate the development of dance artists that are well-rounded in their understanding of Caribbean traditional and folk dance forms. This programme is primarily focused on cultivating individuals who are versed in the history, cultural context and practice of traditional and folk dance forms as a means to cultural retention, social transformation, identity formation and cultural literacy.
- Minimum FIVE (5) CXC subjects with grades 1 to 3 (grade 3 after 1998) or minimum FIVE (5) G.C.E. ‘O’ Level with grades A to C.
- Be at least 17 years old at the time of admission.
- English Language at the CXC/G.C.E. Level (or equivalent) is compulsory for all applicants.
- SCHOOL OF DANCE AUDITION: Auditions are held twice per year, usually in June and July. Prospective students are required to attend one of these auditions. The audition will comprise:
- Three (3) class sessions of Modern Dance, Ballet, and Caribbean Traditional Folk Technique.
- A two (2) minute solo performance presentation in your strongest areas of dance performance.
- International applicants are required to send a videotape or DVD of their performance for assessment in NTSC format. DVD must include:
- A verbal introduction of name and country of origin.
- Reasons for wanting to pursue a performing arts programme at EMCVPA.
- Course choice (e.g. Bachelor of Fine Arts) and desired career path (e.g. teaching, performance).
- A three (3) minute solo presentation in your strongest areas of performance
- A demonstration of skills in at least two dance techniques (Modern or Ballet must be one). For each selected technique, provide 20-25 minutes of skills demonstration. Exercises should be kept short and simple so that the fundamental elements of the work may be observed.
- Include movement sequences applicable to the technique being featured.
- ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT: Applicants whose native language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Applicants can register for the TOEFL examinations at www.ets.org/toefl.
Program taught in:
See 17 more programs offered by Edna Manley College of the Visual and Performing Arts »
This course is