Join your love of sport with a foundation in business management for a fulfilling future career.
25+ years and running, Medaille’s sport management program is for business-minded individuals with a penchant for athletics. With a focus on administration, finance, and economics, students will emerge prepared in areas of the arena, vendor and team management, sport tourism and hospitality, coaching, professional scouting, sport analytics, and athletic administration. What’s more, Medaille’s strong relationships with sports teams, schools, and organizations provide you networking and internship opportunities at locations including Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Bisons, Buffalo Bandits, FC Buffalo, WNY Flash, AEG, Miami Marlins, UCLA Law School, ADPRO Sports, New Era, and Delaware North Companies.
"The opportunities granted to me during my time at Medaille directly contributed to my current career path. I completed my required internship at St. Joe's High School, where I worked side-by-side with the athletic director, doing day-to-day tasks. The internship resulted in me becoming St. Joe's freshman boy's basketball head coach, and that experience helped me gain the knowledge I use to successfully coach an athletics team."
Michael Brooks, Jr. '16, head coach, Barker High School boys varsity basketball
"According to Plunket Research (2017), global sport is a $1.3 trillion industry. By design, our curriculum is balanced with sport-specific and business courses. Our students are prepared with a business skill set that is focused on the sport industry, and this sets them apart from others in the field."
Richard L. Jacob, Ph.D., program director, sport management
What can you do with this degree?
Alumni of Medaille’s sport management program have gone on to careers, such as:
- General Manager
- Director of Player/Personnel Development
- Accountant for Professional Sports Franchise
- Sports Medicine Specialist
- High School and College Coach
- Personal Trainer
- Strength and Conditioning Coach
- Professional Scout
Medaille sport management alumni work in various fields, including:
- Arena Management/Facilities
- Event Marketing and Management
- Sport Law
- Athletic Fundraising
- Sport Tourism/International Sport
- NCAA Compliance
- Youth Sport Organizations
- Community/Recreation Center Management
- Sport Information/Statistics
- Sport Marketing
- Sport Psychology
- Sport Communication and Media
- Sport Merchandising
Sport Management Major Core (54 credits)
- ACC 101 Financial Accounting (3)
- ECO 201 Microeconomics (3)
- ECO 380 Economics of Sports (3)
- MGT 175 Management Concepts and Communication (3)
- MGT 240 Financial Management (3)
- MGT 335 Organizational Behavior (3)
- MGT 420 Strategic Management I (3)
- MIS 240 Management Info Systems (3)
- PSY 385 Sports Psychology (3)
- SOC 301 Sports in Society (3)
- SPM 220 Sports Leadership & Management (3)
- SPM 320 Sports Promotion (3)
- SPM 325 Legal/Ethical Issues Sports/Recreation Management (3)
- SPM 335 Sport Event Management (3)
- SPM 340 History & Philosophy of Sport (3)
- SPM 400 Sports Facility Management (3)
"The two things I loved most growing up were playing sports and planning parties. When I realized that a sport management degree would enable me to make a living doing my two favorite things, it was an easy choice. As for Medaille, I was drawn to its small class sizes and intimate setting. The knowledge and skills I learned in the program provided me with expansive event insight that I use daily in my current role. As the events manager with the Buffalo Bills, I oversee a master events calendar, six-figure budgets, operational set up and event staffing on a daily basis. My sport management degree and classes built the foundation for those skills."
Emily Herr '12, manager of event services for the Buffalo Bills
Medaille Fits Your Life
At Medaille College, we understand the challenges of being a working adult with high career aspirations. That’s why Medaille’s Adult & Graduate programs are designed specifically to fit your already busy schedule. With Medaille, you can earn your degree and still have time for work and family. Medaille College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
- Personalized support.
- Guaranteed classes.
- Collaborative learning environment.
- Financial aid and scholarships are available.
About the School
Medaille College is a private, nonsectarian four-year college with campuses in Buffalo, Rochester and online. Medaille focuses on your success as a student and as a future professional by offering und ... Read More