Sport Management involves applying marketing and communication concepts as well as the management principles of planning, organizing, leading, and directing to the unique industry of commercial sport. Emphasis is placed on the production, facilitation, promotion, and organization of sport products and services. Because the more than $500 billion sport industry demands sport communicators, marketers, administrators, and managers with a specialized combination of functional business and sport management skills, the Sport Management bachelor’s degree incorporates a core of business management courses and a core of sport-specific courses.
The Sport Management program is actively involved in preparing students for working in the fields of sport, leisure, and recreation. Faculty will promote, stimulate, and encourage the study, research, scholarly writing, and professional development in the area of sport management—both theoretical and applied aspects (North American Society of Sport Management. NASSM 2006).
Medaille College’s Sport Management program now offers all courses required by the New York State Education Department to obtain a New York State Coaching Certificate (Sport Specific).
Supporting the College’s mission, the Sport Management program fosters an excellent, intellectually stimulating program that prepares students for productive careers responsive to the sport industry’s employment needs. Possessing tremendous expansion potential, The Sport Management program contributes to the College’s well-known flexible delivery system. The curriculum integrates a core of general education themes, career preparation, and learning through experience.
The Sport Management program will continue to recruit and maintain student-oriented, professional faculty and staff. The faculty, in conjunction with the office of institutional advancement, will continue to seek resources for the College. The versatile curriculum will allow us to recruit and retain a motivated, qualified and diverse student body. Utilizing the institution’s various academic units and programs, all students in The Sport Management program will work within the community to enhance the quality of life and offer lifelong learning opportunities.
|Degree earned||Total number of credits|
What can you do with this degree?
Medaille alumni have gone on to careers as:
- General Manager
- Director of Player/Personnel Development
- Accountant for Professional Sports Franchise
- Sports Medicine Specialist
- High School and College Coach
- Personal Trainer/Strength and Conditioning Coach
- Professional Scout
Medaille alumni work in areas including:
- Arena Management/Facilities
- Event Marketing and Management
- Sport Law
- Athletic Fundraising
- Sport Tourism/International Sport
- NCAA Compliance
- Youth Sport Organizations
- Community/Recreation Center Management
- Sport Information/Statistics
- Sport Marketing
- Sport Psychology
- Sport Communication and Media
- Sport Merchandising
Medaille has strong relationships with sports teams, schools, and organizations, including:
- Buffalo Sabres
- Buffalo Bills
- Buffalo Bisons
- Buffalo Bandits
- FC Buffalo
- WNY Flash
- Time Warner Sports
- Miami Marlins
- UCLA Law School
- ADPRO Sports
- New Era
- Community Centers
- Boys & Girls Clubs of America
- NCAA Division I institutions
- Delaware North Companies
Medaille’s bachelor’s degree in sport management program provides personalized learning through
- Small classes.
- Accomplished faculty.
- Close faculty-student mentoring relationships.
- Minimum of two required internships — you’ll discover your place in the industry before you graduate.
- Various areas of focus, including sport marketing and promotion, personnel management, managing venues and events, media and technology, finance and accounting, and athletic coaching and leadership.
You have an exciting journey ahead and we’ll be there every step of the way
Medaille College is the place for students who want to change their world and improve the lives of their communities through their careers as leaders, advocates, and professionals. Each one of Medaille’s undergraduate programs prepares you for the workplace through hands-on learning experiences in and out of the classroom.
Medaille College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
- Personalized support.
- Student-centered environment.
- Financial aid and scholarships are available.
- A vibrant campus located in the heart of the City of Buffalo Relevant real-world experiences.
- More than two-dozen clubs and activities.
- Successful NCAA Division III athletic teams.
About the School
Medaille College is a private, nonsectarian four-year college with campuses in Buffalo, Rochester and online. Medaille focuses on your success as a student and as a future professional by offering und ... Read More