The area of Sport Communications has grown dramatically in recent years, especially in WNY with Pegula Sports and Entertainment now in Buffalo. The Sport Communications program includes the Sociological and Psychological aspect of Sports, as sports reporting today, is about much more than covering games and profiling athletes. Reporting includes areas such as steroid use, racism, and other controversial issues. This program combines vital aspects of Mass Media with Sports History, Psychology and Field Placements in the Sporting industry. Students will also have the necessary foundation of writing and oral communication skills that will assist them in their field placements and careers.
In addition, the online sports industry has become a major part of sports, so it is a logical step that there would be an interest/need for a Sport Communications degree. Also, Buffalo is a huge sports town and faculty in both the Communications and Sport Management programs have professional connections with all the local sports teams.
|Degree earned||Total number of credits|
What can you do with this degree?
Medaille alumni have gone on to careers as:
- General Managers
- Directors of Player/Personnel Development
- High School and College Coaches
- Professional Scouts
- Sports Psychologists
- Sports Information Directors
- Public Relations Representatives
- Social Media Managers for Sports Organizations
- Sports Reporters
- Athletic Directors
- Event Planners
- Media Relations Representatives for Sports Organizations and Venues
Medaille alumni work in areas including:
- Arena Management/Facilities
- Event Marketing and Management
- Sport Law
- Athletic Fundraising
- Sport Tourism/International Sport
- NCAA Compliance
- Youth Sport Organizations
- Community/Recreation Center Management
- Sport Information/Statistics
- Sport Marketing
- Sport Psychology
- Sport Communication and Media
- Sport Merchandising
Medaille has strong relationships with sports teams, schools, and organizations, including:
- Buffalo Sabres
- Buffalo Bills
- Buffalo Bisons
- Buffalo Bandits
- FC Buffalo
- WNY Flash
- Time Warner Sports
- Miami Marlins
- UCLA Law School
- ADPRO Sports
- New Era
- Community Centers
- Boys & Girls Clubs of America
- NCAA Division I institutions
- Delaware North Companies
Medaille’s bachelor’s degree in sport communications provides you with unique opportunities to:
- Enrich your understanding of the interconnectedness of sport and media/communications.
- Learn about the sociological and psychological aspects of sport.
- Deepen your understanding of all elements of sport reporting, including racism, drug use, athlete profiling, and other controversial topics.
- Provide you with a necessary foundation of writing and oral communication skills that will assist you in your field placements and careers.
- Familiarize yourself with all platforms of sport reporting and coverage, including social media, electronic media, print and web development.
You have an exciting journey ahead and we’ll be there every step of the way
Medaille College is the place for students who want to change their world and improve the lives of their communities through their careers as leaders, advocates, and professionals. Each one of Medaille’s undergraduate programs prepares you for the workplace through hands-on learning experiences in and out of the classroom.
Medaille College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
- Personalized support.
- Student-centered environment.
- Financial aid and scholarships are available.
- A vibrant campus located in the heart of the City of Buffalo Relevant real-world experiences.
- More than two-dozen clubs and activities.
- Successful NCAA Division III athletic teams.
About the School
Medaille College is a private, nonsectarian four-year college with campuses in Buffalo, Rochester and online. Medaille focuses on your success as a student and as a future professional by offering und ... Read More