One degree, a world of opportunities
The public relations program at UCM develops professionals who take a public-focused approach to results-driven strategic communication. UCM's curriculum is driven by national data from the Public Relations Society of America. It prepares students to be successful in a variety of careers. As a student in the PR program, you can expect to receive personal attention from faculty members, gain real-world experiences through internships and in-class clients, and learn valuable skills sets for your future career.
Public relations is the voice behind the voice. When organization image, reputation, brand story or crisis response resonates positively with you, public relations professionals are behind the scenes making sure the right messages are told. They are masters of relationships and strategic messaging. Public relations professionals are needed by all industries. Great public relations careers take place in business-to-business, business-to-consumer, business-to-government, for-profit, non-profit and social enterprise environments.
About the PR program
Public relations is the voice behind the voice. The PR program curriculum is designed to provide students with a comprehensive hands-on learning experience. The PR program prepares you for the professional world of image development, professional storytelling, digital media management, strategic planning, issues management, promotional communication, media relations and crisis communication. The unique curriculum equips you with the skills needed to succeed in today's competitive public relations world. As a PR major, you will complete courses including Principles of Public Relations, Design and Layout for Public Relations, Electronic and Social Media for Public Relations, and Public Relations Campaigns.
- Dr. Tricia Hansen-Horn, Ph.D. Professor and Program Coordinator
- Tom Heapes, APR, Associate Professor
- Dr. Adam Horn, Ph.D. Professor
Professional Advisory Board
The PR Program is fortunate to have engaged and supportive alum who provide advice and help guide the program.
- Shawn Arni (1986): Director of Communications & Marketing-Medical - Children's Mercy Kansas City
- Adam Davis (2010): Lobbyist @ Missouri REALTORS
- Paula Derks (1979): President - Aircraft Electronics Association
- Tim Doke: Principal - TDJ Communications
- John Fay (1970): Principal - Funding Resources
- Sheldon Jones (1974): Principal - S Jones Communications
- Roxann Kinkade (1981): Director of Public Relations - Pinnacle Entertainment
- Speed Marriott (1977): Owner/CEO - P1 Learning
- Nick Mortallaro (2005): Agent and Financial Services Representative - State Farm
- Lisa Qualls (1994): Senior Account Executive - ProActive Solutions
- Jason Roth (2001): VP, Resource Development - Boys & Girls Club of Greater Kansas City
- Mike Swenson: President - Crossroads
- Tony Winders (1990): CMO & Principal Consultant - Winders Consulting Group
- Heather Woodard, APR (2003): Director, PR & Social Media - H&L Partners
UCM Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA)
Led by a student exec team, UCM PRSSA provides leadership, professional development, career readiness, networking, and internship/job opportunities to all majors and minors.
"The PR program at UCM provided me with a wealth of hands-on experience, knowledge and resources imperative to the success of my career. The strong emphasis on communication and writing skills throughout all core courses continually proves its importance in day-to-day tasks." (Angela Orr - Digital Communications Manager at Kansas City Area Development Council)
"The UCM PR program consists of a well-rounded curriculum supported by professors with a wealth of knowledge and experience. These professors provided me with educational and professional support from day one in the program, continuing today as an alumna." (Cara Mahon - Digital Marketing Specialist at Associated Wholesale Grocers)
"The UCM PR program equipped me for the finance industry in more ways than I could imagine. The overall knowledge, skillset, and hands-on experiences acquired through the program have allowed me to broaden my professional network and client base in ways most financial advisors wouldn't consider. Without my background in public relations, I am certain I would not be at the level that I am today." (Adam Maddox - Financial Professional at Prudential)
About the School
The University of Central Missouri experience transforms students into lifelong learners, dedicated to service, with the knowledge, skills and confidence to succeed and lead in the region, state, nati ... Read More