The bachelor’s degree in New Media, Art, & Technology (NMAT) combines tradition and innovation in a four-year, undergraduate degree for students wishing to develop practical skills and strong knowledge in areas including, but not limited to, digital media, web and mobile media, 2D and 3D studio art and design, virtual media, and emerging media. Students will learn strong computer, art, and design skills, preparing them for a variety of careers and graduate studies. Students tailor the degree to their interests and plans by taking a core set of courses in New Media, Art, & Technology, selecting a concentration area, and choosing electives. The twenty-first-century curriculum offers skills, knowledge and in-service learning, providing valuable pathways to many occupations, including graphic design, illustration, publishing, commercial art, fine art, web design and development, videography, cinematography and photography.
Bachelor of Science Degree
The Bachelor of Science in New Media, Art, & Technology is for the student who wants to be more focused on new media topics within their degree. The major consists of 45 credit hours of courses in New Media, Art, & Technology, divided between a required core and courses within a chosen concentration, including electives. The Bachelor of Science degree features an innovative multidisciplinary approach, with course work taught by faculty from a variety of fields.
Make the degree yours by choosing one of the following:
- Digital Media
- Graphic Design
- Web Design
New Media, Art, and Technology is a program that prepares students to be critical, adaptive, inquisitive, effective, and creative thinkers, communicators, problem-solvers and creators, able to succeed as relevant professionals in a multitude of established and emerging fields.
Students who complete the program will:
- understand how to produce industry-standard media works within their chosen concentration
- have the practical and theoretical knowledge to critique works within their chosen concentration
- posses the verbal, historical and theoretical knowledge to present their work to a variety of audiences
- understand the professional practices required to succeed in their chosen area
- produce a portfolio of their work suitable for advancement within their chosen field
Bachelor of Science Degree Requirements
The degree includes 120 hours of total course work including the following:
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences Bachelor of Science Degree Requirements
- All New Media, Art, & Technology NMAT-D, NMAT-W, NMAT-S (digital, web, studio art) courses require a C grade or higher to count toward the major.
- All New Media, Art, & Technology NMAT-H and NMAT-G (history, theory, and general) courses require a C- grade or higher to count toward the major.
New Media, Art, & Technology Core Courses (12 credit hours)
Required: All students earning a Bachelor of Science in New Media, Art, & Technology must take:
- NMAT-S 110 Fundamental Studio-2D (previously FINA-F 102) (3 cr.)
- NMAT-W 201 Introduction to New Media (previously NMCM-N 201) (3 cr.)
- NMAT-D 216 Studio In Digital Media I (previously NNCM-N 215) (3 cr.)
- NMAT-G 491 Senior Seminar (previously NMCM-N 401, FINA-S 400, FINA-Y 398) (3 cr.)
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 26, 2017