As the largest undergraduate department on campus, we provide the rigorous, practice-based curriculum our students have come to expect. From the many active student organizations to hands-on learning experiences in capstone classes and Co-Op opportunities, we hope each of our students gains both the knowledge and experience to succeed!
Mechanical engineering is a very broad field of engineering which deals with almost all of the day-to-day applications. Mechanical engineers deal with anything that has motion - from the human body to complex machines. The breadth of mechanical engineering discipline allows students to find career opportunities in a wide variety of industries including automotive, aerospace, consumer products, oil and gas, power generation, appliances, heavy machinery, electronics, robots, healthcare etc. Mechanical engineering is concerned with the design, analysis, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems and thermal devices and processes. Some examples of products and processes developed by mechanical engineers include micro-scale sensors to large aircraft and spacecraft, engines and control systems for automobiles and aircraft, electric power generation machines, lifesaving mechanical devices, and a wide variety of consumer products.
- The mechanical engineering undergraduate program at TTU is ranked among the top 35 in the country in terms of undergraduate enrollment.
- TTU mechanical engineering graduates frequently find employment in many regional and national companies including Nissan, GM, Volkswagen, Eastman Chemical, Mahle, TRW, Denso, Bridgestone, NASA-Marshall etc.
- The program offers a rich offering of elective courses in the areas of thermal and fluids engineering, vibrations and noise control, mechatronics, machine designing, manufacturing, and materials.
- Experimental learning with capstone projects from industries, lab experiments and participate in national competitions with design teams such as Autonomous Robots and Baja SAE are the hallmarks of ME program at TTU.
- Students receive personal attention from top-notch department faculty members.
- The TTU BAJA SAE program is the only program in the world to have won the competition 12 times in the history of the competition.
The mechanical engineering students at TTU will have access to state of the art laboratories. These laboratories are equipped with the latest equipment, hardware, and software. Students enrolled in senior capstone design course have projects that help the students gain hands-on experience. This is helpful when seeking employment in many of the top companies in the nation.
The mechanical engineering students are able to participate in several extra-curricular activities. There are several student organizations which are dedicated to certain branches of mechanical engineering. These organizations conduct several industrial visits and seminar sessions throughout the year where experts from industry share their knowledge with the students. Some of the organizations are -
- BAJA SAE
- Formula SAE (FSAE)
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- Autonomous Robotics Club (ARC)
Employment prospects for mechanical engineers are strong. Mechanical engineers are needed to design or improve manufacturing processes in a team setting. There are job prospects for mechanical engineers in a variety of positions including power production, noise control, mechatronics, environmental clean-up, machine design and manufacturing, and materials regulation. Mechanical engineers have a diverse scientific background, making them valuable assets to a workplace.
Several cooperative or internship assignments are available to students majoring in Mechanical Engineering. Qualified students can gain valuable on-the-job experience while earning money to offset educational expenses. Students taking advantage of this opportunity continue to be enrolled by the university and enjoy the privileges of students, while on work assignments away from campus.
To locate current employment and co-op opportunities, visit Tennessee Tech's Center for Career Development site and explore current positions available through Handshake, Tennessee Tech's part-time, co-op, internship, fellowship and full-time job gateway.
- Boeing Commercial
- Bristol Compressors
- Cummins, Inc.
- Eastman Chemical
- General Motors
- John Deere
- Mahle Filter Systems
- Nissan Motor Corporation
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Schneider Electric
Program taught in: