The Mathematical Science major is excellent preparation for a wide range of careers. Since the major provides the students with a broad quantitative background, they are highly qualified to teach the diverse curriculum of secondary school mathematics departments as well as meet the varied quantitative needs of business and industry.
Students majoring in mathematical science who minor in education are endorsed by the Commonwealth of Virginia to teach mathematics at the secondary level. The faculty of this department is actively developing and implementing innovative teaching methods that incorporate appropriate technology. This curriculum, together with the exposure to varied teaching strategies provides students with strong preparation for their future teaching careers.
The curriculum incorporates a variety of topics to prepare students for opportunities in the field of Mathematical Science and includes courses such as:
- Linear Algebra
- Discrete Mathematics
- Abstract Algebra
- Number Theory and Geometry
- Differential Equations
- Multi-variable Calculus
- Fundamentals of Physics
There are over 50 clubs and organizations available to students at Ferrum College. These are specifically related to Mathematical Science:
- Student Virginia Education Association
- Student Teaching: Students with a minor in education will spend time in public schools doing internships and student teaching as preparation for employment in the teaching field.
- Internships: Students are strongly urged to explore career opportunities and to establish mentors through an internship.
What can I be with a major in Mathematical Science?
- Finance and Insurance
- Health Care and Assistance
- Information Technology
- Transportation and Warehousing
About the School
We are committed to academic excellence and we believe our students deserve to achieve successful outcomes before they even graduate. Our current students participate in opportunities that strengthen ... Read More