Analyse complex issues
Amsterdam University College (AUC) offers a liberal arts and sciences programme, leading to a joint Bachelor’s (Honours) degree issued by the University of Amsterdam (UvA) and Vrije Universiteit (VU) Amsterdam. AUC is based on the American liberal arts and sciences model, with students living and studying together on an international campus located at Amsterdam Science Park. The programme is taught entirely in English, is small-scale and selective, and admits a maximum of 300 students each year based on their academic performance and motivation.
Liberal Arts and Sciences at AUC
Do you have broad interests, enjoy discussions and debates, like to be challenged and feel at home in an international environment? AUC offers a Bachelor (Honours) degree programme in the liberal arts and sciences, taught in English, and open to both Dutch and international students. As a student at AUC, you will learn to analyse complex issues from different perspectives by drawing on various academic fields of knowledge. Discussions start with the ‘big questions’ in science and society and lead to in-depth study in a wide range of academic disciplines.
- Interdisciplinary: Students are encouraged to think beyond traditional disciplines to address contemporary problems and issues.
- Personalised: Students work with their tutor to determine a tailor-made study plan that suits individual interests and academic goals.
- Residential: On-campus housing in Amsterdam is guaranteed for all students for the duration of their studies at AUC.
- International: Nearly 50% of the student community comes from abroad, the lingua franca is English and students are immersed in the ‘global village’ of Amsterdam.
- Challenging: As an Honours programme, the curriculum is designed to be rigorous and prepare students for prestigious graduate schools and careers at internationally renowned companies.
- Supportive: Between the tutoring team, peer supporters, resident assistants, well-being team, student life officer and accessible teaching staff, the tight-knit atmosphere at AUC offers a strong support network for students to thrive.
This is what you will be doing
The curriculum features three majors (Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities) and more than 20 concentrations and areas of specialisation. These are spread across six interdisciplinary themes that encourage you to develop your own unique study plan, combining courses from both in- and outside of your major to best prepare you for your future academic and/or career goals.
Students at AUC choose to major in the Sciences, Social Sciences or Humanities. Within each of these majors are a variety of “tracks” through which students specialise in more specific areas of knowledge known as concentrations. These concentrations make the programme cohesive, and ensure that students attain a certain level of expertise in a specific field to proceed to Master’s degree programmes or more advanced studies in an exact field.
These areas of study can also be combined to create unique programmes designed to address contemporary issues (for example, “health” and “biomedical sciences” to better understand public health policies, or “information” and “communication” to study the increasing effect of big data on society).
About the School
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is an internationally renowned research university founded in 1880. The university offers over 150 English taught programmes at Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD level to 23,00 ... Read More