Want to get inside the minds of world leaders and learn from their decisions? If you are interested in global issues and diplomacy, then International Relations (IR) is the perfect major for you! In IR, you’ll learn about Latin American politics, Asian history, world religions, and much more. Then test your diplomacy skills as you compete with students from other colleges at the Model U.N. Conference.
What are the required courses for an International Relations major?
- PoSc 130 Model United Nations (SUGGESTED, not required)
- PoSc 240 World Politics
- PoSc 340 Politics of a Changing World
- PoSc 385 Senior Seminar
Three of the following: (at least two from Political Science)
- PoSc 230 West European Politics
- PoSc 231 Politics of Russia and Eastern Europe
- PoSc 232 Asian Politics
- PoSc 233 Latin American Politics
- Span 213 Latin American Culture and Civilization*
- Hist 309 Contemporary Europe
- Hist 275 History of India
- Hist 276 History of China
Three of the following:
- Anth 110 Cultural Anthropology
- Art 204 Survey of Non-Western Art
- Econ 230 Economic Development**
- PoSc 245 Global Issues
- Rel 120 Intro to World Religions
- Rel 233 Islam
- Rel 263 Ethics, Religion and Conflict
One semester of a World Language above the 102 level
With permission of the department, participation in the Drew University Semester or the CHIP semester in Washington DC may substitute for some requirements.
*Prerequisite for Spanish 213 is Spanish 202 or equivalent.
**Prerequisite for Economics 230 is Economics 101 or 102.
About the School
Founded in 1860, Simpson has prepared generations of students for successful careers, graduate schools or service work. Our beautiful campus sits on 75 acres in Indianola, Iowa and offers the best of ... Read More