Bachelor in Interior Design
Interior design is a discipline that looks after creating internal environment to meet its activity, functions, and requirements, while being aesthetically pleasing through coordinating all the essential design elements and construction methods side by side. The program curriculum structured gradually starting from studying the design fundamentals and design expression language from manual drafting to CAD and 3D modelling, beside the basics of photography to display & document designs as well as studying different design themes, contents from historical through contemporary to futurism. The program focus on design elements such as color – material & fabrics – acoustics – lighting leading to conceptual design through researches and analysis of different activities such as: residential houses, retail shops, offices, hospitality buildings, furniture design, sustainable & healthy design, and large scale projects. The most important program goal is to reduce the gap between academic and professional life to produce graduates that have the practical knowledge and skills to meet the needs of professional design market and to achieve this the program providing live experience from field trips, guest speakers, community service projects, attending in different contest and eventually by working on live projects through a distinguish internship. The final outcome results in developing a broad vision, an open mind, adaptability and flexibility to new novelties in this changing world so as to eliminate rigidity in the mental framework.
- Provide a solid foundation that combines knowledge, integrative thinking and skills necessary for creating innovative design concepts and projects.
- Prepare students with sufficient visual and verbal vocabulary required for efficiently communicating design concepts and implementation to concerned individuals and groups.
- Educate toward understanding the physical, psychological and cultural nature of design users to assess and meet their needs and requirements.
- Provide learning environment emulating real world situations to prepare graduates for a creative professional life.
- Demonstrate understanding of art and design, design theories, discipline-related history and culture backgrounds affecting interior design.
- Conceptualize and communicate design ideas clearly in oral, written and visual forms.
- Apply appropriate design approaches fulfilling various functional needs from initial inspiration to a fully completed project.
- Implement designs using different building systems and apply building industry regulations to assure public health, safety and welfare
- Identify and use materials, fabrics, color, lighting, other elements and subjects involved in designing and furnishing the space
- Possess and practice necessary skills and traits for successful interaction with interior design professionals in their future career environment.
- Integrate various design project elements to conclude and assess design related tasks simulating professional practice environment.
The Department offers the degree of Bachelor of Arts in Interior Design accredited by the Ministry of Higher Education since 2006. The Graduates are equally prepared to pursue M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in allied fields of Interior Design.
Maximum Number of Semester credits is 18
- General Study Courses 30 Credits
- Foundation Study Courses 27 Credits
- Specialisation Courses (including Internship) 57 Credits
- Elective Courses 9 Credits
(120 credits on-campus plus 3 credits for Internship off-campus)
Graduates are prepared for a career in interior design and its related disciplines. Graduates may choose to set up their own Interior Design practice or freelance as well as working in interior design project management, supervision, consultancies, and contracting.
WHY AGU Bachelor of Interior Design?
- Interior design department educates students for the dynamic and demanding practice of design.
- Interior design curriculum structured gradually starting from design fundamentals to conceptual design through research and analysis of various culture backgrounds and functions.
- Interior Design program graduates will be ready to join the professional design market whether setting up their own practice, working in interior design project management, supervision, consultation, contracting, or other related fields.
- Solid linkage with the design associations and industry.
- Accredited by the UAE Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research since 2006.
About the School
Al Ghurair University is committed to serve the educational needs of the community by sustaining quality educational experience for students, engaging in outreach activities, and contributing to knowl ... Read More