The Game Programming BS curriculum integrates the engineering and programming techniques used in game creation. With an emphasis on math and objective-oriented programming through the use of complex algorithms, students will develop strong problem-solving skills, learn to write efficient code, and collaborate with artists and designers to provide optimized solutions for game design.
BS Game Programming Unit Requirements
- Core 36 units
- Major 30 units
- Electives 9 units
- Liberal Arts 45 units
TOTAL 120 units
BS Game Programming Degree Requirements
Minimum grade of C- in all major coursework and the following Liberal Arts courses:
- LA 108 Composition for the Artist
- LA 255 College Math
- LA 271 College Algebra with Geometry
- LA 288 Vector, Matrices, & Transformations
- LA 293 Precalculus
Minimum 2.0 GPA
And the following general education requirements:
- 3 Written Communication courses
- 1 Fundamental Math course
- 1 Applied Math course
- 1 Math for Programming course
- 1 Employment Communications & Practices course
- 1 Historical Awareness course
- 1 Cultural Ideas & Influences course
- 1 Art Historical Awareness course
After above general education requirements are met, take Liberal Arts electives as needed to fulfill the Liberal Arts unit requirement.
BS Program Learning Outcomes
Undergraduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Correctly apply math concepts to create functioning code
- Research and generate workable solutions under a deadline
- Create and execute plans to develop complex interactive software applications
Demonstrate proficiency with technology related to contemporary game programming
- Implement appropriate industry practices relating to topics such as data structures, algorithms, and design patterns
- Design and develop game engines, games, and development tools
- Create optimized, efficient video game applications
- Write error-free commented code appropriate to provided parameters (spec sheet, SDK package, assignment, etc.)
- Produce a professional portfolio which meets industry standards
- Work cooperatively and effectively in a professional production environment
- Demonstrate programming skills on demand by successfully completing industry inspired programming tests
Visit www.academyart.edu to learn more about total costs, median student loan debt, potential occupations and other information. Accredited Member WSCUC, NASAD, CIDA (BFA-IAD, MFA-IAD), NAAB (B.ARCH*, M.ARCH), CTC (California Teacher Credential). The acting degree program is currently not offering online courses. **B.ARCH is currently in candidacy status.
All international students will require a VISA to enter the US and an OPT application to extend their stay after graduation. Selecting a STEM approved program allows for the benefit of being able to apply for an extended 24-month Optional Practical Training (OPT) stay to work in the country after graduation.
The following Academy majors qualify for the 24-month STEM Extension: Advanced Architectural Design; Advertising; Advertising & Branded Media Technology; Animation & Visual Effects; Architecture; Architectural Design; Art Education; Communications & Media Technologies; Game Development; Game Programming; Graphic Design; Graphic Design & Digital Media; Industrial Design; Interior Architecture & Design; New Media & Web Design. For more information on approved STEM programs, how to apply, and more common questions about studying as an international student at the Academy of Art University, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page here.
The program length is based on graduating in normal time.
Master in Graphic Design
BY SUBMITTING THIS FORM, I GIVE CONSENT TO ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY TO RECEIVE AUTODIALED AND/OR PRE-RECORDED TELEMARKETING CALLS, AND TEXT MESSAGES, FROM OR ON BEHALF OF ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY AT THE TELEPHONE NUMBER(S) PROVIDED HERE. I UNDERSTAND THAT MY CONSENT IS NOT A CONDITION OF MY RECEIVING SERVICES FROM ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY. ALL CALLS MAY BE RECORDED FOR QUALITY ASSURANCE.
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please visit our website at, http://www.academyart.edu/disclosures
This school offers programs in:
Last updated March 19, 2018