Design, develop and turn your games into a business.
- User experience design, player psychology and games as a business
- The three-year program
- Game-building and portfolio from year one
- Tuition fee per year: EU: 4720€; Non-EU: 5120€
Game Design and Development is a curriculum designed to provide skills for both mobile and PC games development as well as starting up your own game company.
A game designer is a core member of the team, a specialist for developing great game mechanics and captivating gameplay. A game designer is well-versed in software development, computer graphics and business thinking.
EUAS' partners in providing game design studies are among others Uppsala University, Unity Technologies and Estonia's leading games companies Creative Mobile, Reval Indie House and Interactive Fate.
Though the curriculum allows for specialisation in-game graphics or games software development, the main emphasis is on gameplay, game mechanics and monetisation model design.
Game Design and Development is suited for someone who has a deep interest in games and a wide array of hobbies. Game design is a great place to find an outlet for the seemingly exclusive interests - the artistic programmer or a musician graphics artist.
The most important part is that you have the habit of looking past the gameplay. If you find yourself analysing the games you play, this is the curriculum for you. If you have prior graphics or programming skill to bring with you, even better.
Top 5 Reasons to Choose EUAS
Among the many reasons for choosing Estonian Entrepreneurship University of Applied Sciences (EUAS) five stand out.
- EUAS is an international university with students from all over the world. Our students have a choice of studying in either Estonian, English or Russian. Our curricula are developed in sync with corporate partners across borders and our teaching staff hail from an international network of like-minded universities.
- We are small but focused, keeping enrolment and the day-to-day bureaucracy to a minimum and our attention where it belongs - offering our students the best possible entrepreneurship training. Our 1600 students make us the market leader of private higher education in Estonia.
- We are a university of entrepreneurs, by entrepreneurs and for (future) entrepreneurs. At EUAS, we try to make people learn valuable lessons from others' successes as well as mistakes. We offer our students intense contact with the business world throughout their studies in the form of visiting lectures, regular informal meetups and internships. On average our graduates earn more than graduates from Tallinn University or the University of Tartu, the large Estonian public universities.
- We are located in Tallinn, one of Europe's startup hot spots with ever-enhancing opportunities to find the right team, shape the right product, raise funds and take off with your idea. For aspirations in an intrapreneurial career, look no further than our good neighbours and internship-partners from the various high-value industries at Ülemiste City the innovation campus dubbed "the Silicon Valley of the North".
- Easily accessible and low-cost location. Estonia is well-connected to any part of the world and the living costs (accommodation, food, transportation) are much more reasonable than in Scandinavia and the UK for instance. It's all the world's opportunities with no hassle and all the more fun.
EUAS is a university for driven people who are after the next big thing.
I year autumn
- Self-management in university
- HTML 5
- Computer graphics and animation
- Photo editing (Photoshop)
- Final paper
- Basics of computer programming
- Video game graphics analysis and technical specifications
- 2D game graphics
- General art composition and colour studies
- Object-oriented analysis, design and programming
I year spring
- Communication psychology
- Vector graphic
- Game Engines and Prototyping
- Introduction to the game industry
II year autumn
- Organisational behaviour
- Academic writing
- Research methods
- User interface and user experience design (UI & UX design)
- Game design, level design and documentation
- Mobile game workshop
II year spring
- Psychology of advertising
- Speciality teamwork practice
- Video game publishing and marketing
- Sound processing
III year autumn
- Entrepreneurship module
- Public speaking
- Commercial law and creative economy regulations
- Speciality practice
- Video game development and polishing workshop
- 3D game graphics
III year spring
Criteria for admission:
- average grade of last level of education graduated (30%);
- motivation letter (30%);
- admission interview (suitability to program) (30%);
- entrepreneurship motivation and experience (10%).
- Proof of English level B2. IELTS 5.5 or equivalent proof of English proficiency is required.
- Higher Secondary Education Diploma
- Higher Secondary Education Grades' Sheet (applicants will be ranked)
- Motivation letter in English (1 page, not more).
As a graduate, there are many positions from which you can begin your career in the games industry. Some include:
- Character designer
- Level designer
- Game designer
- Software developer for games
- Concept artist
- Videogame graphics artist
The average salary in the video games field in Estonia is €1800 a month.
About the School
Estonian Entrepreneurship University of Applied Sciences (EUAS), founded in 1992, is the largest private university in Estonia. Our 1,600 students make us the market leader, yet allow us to be focused ... Read More