Bachelor of Science in Furniture and Wood Technology
GMIT Letterfrack Campus
Graduates are equipped with the skills in furniture and wood technologies that are required in modern production environments. They develop knowledge of current manufacturing technologies and can demonstrate a clear understanding of business and work practices with the capability to manufacture furniture and wood products of quality and precision in competitive commercial enterprises.
Graduates have a clear understanding of the nature and properties of materials and finishes used in the industry. They can competently and safely operate a range of conventional and automated manufacturing equipment and can implement factory planning, layout, work organization and production flows.
Lectures and laboratories support the workshop-based activity and cover essential integrating elements. These projects and activities underpin an intensive block of work placement that can be undertaken in Ireland, UK, USA, Europe, Australia and other parts of the world.
Year 1: Learning to Learn, Foundation Drawing, Materials, Manufacturing Technology, Technical Graphics, Mathematics, Furniture History and Design Process, Furniture Construction and Projects 1
Year 2: Applied Science, Applied Graphics and Computer Applications, Management and Economics, Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Operations Management 1, Projects 2
Year 3: CAD/CAM, Product Development, Operations Management 2, Automation, Commercial Projects and Work Placement, Marketing and Finance and Regulatory Environment
Graduates are employed in a variety of wood products and furniture manufacturing companies where knowledge of manufacturing and production technologies is required. With experience, the graduate is well placed to work at supervisory and management levels.
Other Essential Information
- This programme involves training in the use of a wide variety of woodwork machinery.
- 1st-year students must purchase tool, safety and design kits upon registering for this programme which is sourced and specified by GMIT.
- It is recommended that applicants have a European Computer Driving License (ECDL).
- An extensive work placement is also incorporated into year three of the programme, which can take place in Ireland, the UK, the USA, Australia or other locations.
- A term of study in a third level Institute overseas may also be considered in lieu of this industry placement.
- A Level 6 Higher Certificate is embedded in this Programme and Students may wish to exit with this award after completing years one and two.
Graduates can apply for places on year four of the Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Furniture and Wood Technology at GMIT Letterfrack.
About the School
Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT) is based at five locations in the west of Ireland. At the largest campus situated in Galway, we look out on the Atlantic Ocean and are reminded of Francis Ba ... Read More