Bachelor in Food Technology
Food Technology is a branch of food science which deals with the actual production processes to make foods. To fulfill and maintain its nutritional quality, food must be both safely produced and safely delivered to the consumer. This requires processing technologies to convert raw materials into foods as well as preservation technologies to increase the shelf life of foods.
The food industry is very competitive and is constantly changing to meet consumer demands and use technological innovations. Modern advanced technologies allow the production of wholesome and safe foods, which is able to meet the demands of today’s fast-paced consumer-driven economy. Many of these technologies are now being adapted to Indonesia’s rapidly growing food industry, and there is still a need for new solutions to strengthen the competitiveness of Indonesia’s food and beverage industry, which promises an exciting future for students in the food technology area. Industry and governments need highly qualified professionals who can combine knowledge of food science and technology with an ability to apply and maintain advanced quality systems meeting international expectations.
Unique Value Points
- Program Study of Food Technology at I3L has an excellent curriculum program which is specifically developed to prepare graduates ready to work in food industry or government. The curriculum is developed in collaboration with the Department of Food Science and Technology at SLU, Sweden.
- Food Technology at I3L is being planned to have a food innovation and research facilities which is equipped with an advance food processing units and instruments where students will gain practical training through hands-on experiences workshops and research projects.
- Program Study of Food Technology at I3L will have collaboration with several Food Technology Department at other international universities and institutions in terms of student exchange, internships, workshops, and academic activities.
- Faculties of Food Technology program not only provide lectures but also will have research project activities focused on dairy processing and products, snacks and bakery technology, fruits, vegetable, & beverages products, cereal & legume processing, applications of functional and healthy ingredients, smart packaging, and process automation & robotics.
- The learning process at i3L is intertwined of academic excellence, industrial experiences and governmental endorsement which we called as a triple helix education.
- With English as the language, the graduates will be positioned higher compare to graduates from other institutions in Indonesia and they will be more ready when they want to pursue education further.
Program Learning Outcomes
Food Technology program is designed to achieve specific learning outcomes provides the strongest foundation for professional development, producing competitive graduates for industry and public sector employment and admission to top international advancement programs.
Graduates of i3L Food Technology program will have:
- Describe the source and variability of raw food materials and their impact on food processing operations.
- Explain the chemistry underlying the properties of various food components, to discuss the major chemical reactions that occur during food processing and storage, and to select the most appropriate laboratory techniques and practical solution to solve specific problems in foods
- Discuss the important pathogens and spoilage microorganisms in foods, the most likely sources of these organisms, and the conditions under which they grow, thus be able to explain the effects of common food processing systems and food storage conditions on survival and growth of microbial contaminants
- Comprehend the basic principles of food preservation methods, including high and low temperature, drying and water activity control, high pressure, extrusion, fermentation, and aseptic processing, thus be able to identify and describe the appropriate unit operations required to produce different types of food products
- Explain traditional and new types of packaging materials/machines, closures, storage and delivery systems
- Explain functions of specific nutrients and ingredients in maintaining health and identify what foods are good sources for what nutrients and functional ingredients
- Discuss the response of microorganisms to environmental stress factors, and the principles of sanitation practices to control microorganisms, and understand the role of beneficial microorganisms in foods and their use in fermentation processes.
- Explain spoilage and deterioration mechanisms in foods, and to correctly use appropriate laboratory techniques to enumerate, isolate, and identify microorganisms in foods.
- Conduct appropriate sensory evaluation tests to answer specific questions regarding food attributes or consumer preferences. Have a basic knowledge to interpret statistical data as used in food technology applications and to use appropriate computer software to perform required tasks or solve problems in food science.
- Summarize and to critically discuss current topics of importance in food technology, which include applying principles from the various facets of food technology and related disciplines to develop new innovative food products and to solve practical, real-world problems.
Food technologists have an important role in food manufacturing companies including quality control, and food research and development. Industry and governments need highly qualified professionals who can combine knowledge of food science and technology with an ability to apply and maintain advanced quality systems meeting international expectations. Food Technology program of i3L is designed to achieve specific learning outcomes that provide the strongest foundation for professional development, producing competitive graduates for industry and public sector employment and admission to top international advancement programs.
The unique experience from actively working in globally connected state-of-the-art projects together with international scientists, experts, industry leaders and entrepreneurs provides a real strength for the future career of graduates both seeking employment or taking on entrepreneurial ventures. The career opportunities expand as the students also acquire the skills and the comfort to master speech, debate, informatics and bio-entrepreneurship which will help the i3L students to become the future leaders.
Graduates of our program in Food Technology will be prepared to assume responsible managerial positions in research and development, food safety, quality assurance, and quality control in the food industry. Other career options include positions in public or private health organizations in policy-making, and regulatory compliance affairs, or in research positions. The program also prepares the graduates for further graduate studies or a career as an international entrepreneur.
- Fundamentals of Life Sciences
- Molecular & Celular Biology
- General & Organic Chemistry
- Academic Writing
- Principles of Food Science and Technology
- ICT in Life Science
- General Microbiology
- Basics of Bioinformatics
- Principles of Biotechnology & Bioentrepreneurship
- Scientific Writing & Presentation Skills
- Principles of Biomedicine
- Genes & Development
- Properties of Food and Processing I
- Food chemistry I
- Process control and automation I
- Analytical Method in Food I
- Food Microbiology
- Properties of Food and Processing II
- Process control and automation II
- Food chemistry II
- Technology of fruits and vegetables
- Analytical Method in Food II
- Technology of muscle-based foods
- Cereal technology
- Milk and dairy technology
- Food Safety and Toxicology
- Sensory Evaluation
- Food Additives
- Elective Courses 1
- Food Packaging
- Quality management and food legislation
- Food Enzymology
- Ethics, Civics and Social Responsibility
- Beverage Technology
- Philosophy of Science
- Experimental Design
- Elective Courses 2
- Indonesia: Culture, Language, and Future
- Fermentation-based Food Technology
- Business Simulation
- Product development and marketing
- Elective Courses 3
- Food Frying & Extrusion Technology
- Healthy Food Technology
- Food Biotechnology
- Confectionary, Chocolate, & Cream Technology
- Ice Cream Technology
- Advanced Food Processing
- Advanced Dairy Technology
- Food Rheology & Texture