Bachelor in Food Science
The food policy of the Indonesian government is directed to achieve food sovereignty and focus on – among others – increasing food availability, quality food distribution, improving food accessibility, and improving food consumption quality and nutrition. Food has to be available in adequate amount, safe, nutritious, in good quality and affordable by the community to meet the nutritional requirements for healthy and prosperous life. At the global level, the need for adequate, quality, safe, nutritious and healthy foods is also increasing. There is a huge demand for foods to support the lifestyle of society in develop and developing countries. Food industries in Indonesia and in the world are growing fast to meet such demands. In line with that, policymakers and regulatory bodies in food have to be updated with the development to ensure the health of the public. Hence, it is highly required personnel with the competency in food science who are able to produce foods, to measure chemical, physical and microbiological properties of foods, to ensure food safety, and to have innovation in food science through multidisciplinary approaches.
Globally, the development of Food Science has been incredibly advanced, as shown by numerous researches done to investigate the benefits of foods for health and the increased quality of food, ranging from harvest, processing, packaging, and storage up to consumption by the consumers. The contribution of Food Science could also be seen from the foods that everybody now can enjoy foods which are safe, delicious, nutritious, in adequate quantity and variety, convenient, and affordable.
Food Science program at undergraduate (or bachelor) level in i3L is designed to fulfill the needs for personnel and practitioners in food sectors, such as food industry, food policy and regulatory bodies, consumers association, and research and educational centers. The Food Science program links the theoretical studies and practical works for its application in modern food science field.
Unique Value Points
Food Science applies biology, chemistry, physics, and engineering to study food characteristics, the underlying principles of food deterioration, and the principles for food processing. In line with science and technology development, Food Science also applies other branches of sciences, such as nutrition, biotechnology, genetics, computer, and materials to study food production aspects, such as acceptability of consumers to certain food products, nutritional quality of foods, and food safety.
The program in Food Science is designed to provide a conducive learning environment and learning process to combine academic excellence, industrial and business practices, and government support as known by triple helix in education.
The Food Science program will focus on exploring and harnessing the Indonesian biodiversity in the area of food. The learning activities in Food Science program is arranged in such a way to hone the participants’ leadership and communication skills and practices so the graduates will be ready to enter the global job market or to pursue their education further.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of i3L Food Science program will demonstrate expertise, skills, and attitude in the following competencies:
- Comprehend the chemical and physical properties, functions, regulation and metabolism of the major and minor food components and their changes during processing and storage.
- Able to identify and utilize beneficial microorganisms in the food industry and identify important spoilage and pathogenic microorganisms as well as knowing how to prevent and handle them using systematic approaches.
- Able to evaluate the impacts of foods, nutrients, and diets on human health.
- Capable to describe the essential principles of sustainable food value chains and its ecological, social and economic integrity.
- Able to identify and formulate problems independently in the field of food and propose appropriate solutions
- Being able to explain the basic principles of analytical methods, as well as the possibilities and applications in food science
- Apply the principles and methods of sensory evaluation techniques in the evaluation of quality and acceptance of foods and food products
- Capable to design, conduct and analyze an experimental work and to plan, manage and effectively use resources of small projects based on the recent development in the field of food science.
Many unique and challenging career opportunities await graduates with a degree in Food Science in large commercial food industries, small private food companies, food service establishments, government agencies, and universities.
The unique experience from actively working in globally connected state-of-the-art projects together with international scientists, experts, industry leaders and entrepreneurs provides a real strength for the future career of graduates for either seeking employment or taking on entrepreneurial ventures. The career opportunities expand as the students also acquires the skills and the comfort to master speech, debate, informatics and bio-entrepreneurship which will help the i3L students to become the future leaders.
The program will prepare students for careers in the food industry or research institutions in food science and/or related disciplines, as food chemist/microbiologist/toxicologist, nutritional consultant, food ingredient technical specialist, quality assurance director, food plant production manager, research and development scientist at university, research agency or food industry, education instructor/teacher in food science or as an international entrepreneur in the food industry.
- Fundamentals of Life Sciences
- Molecular & Celular Biology
- General & Organic Chemistry
- Academic Writing
- Principles of Food Science and Technology
- ICT in Life Science
- General Microbiology
- Basics of Bioinformatics
- Principles of Biotechnology & Bioentrepreneurship
- Scientific Writing & Presentation Skills
- Principles of Biomedicine
- Genes & Development
- Animal Physiology
- Plant Physiology
- Food Chemistry I
- Food Microbiology
- Analytical Method in Food I
- Food Chemistry II
- Human Nutrition
- Plant Food Science
- Animal Food Science
- Analytical Method in Food II
- Agricultural economics
- Food Safety and Toxicology
- Food in society
- Food additives
- Functional foods and nutraceuticals
- Sensory evaluation
- Elective course 1
- Ethics, Civics and Social Responsibility
- Quality Management and Food Legislation
- Nutrigenetics and Nutrigenomics
- Food Enzymology
- Philosophy of Science
- Experimental Design
- Elective Course 2
- Indonesia: Culture, Language, and Future
- Therapeutic Food Science
- Business Simulation
- Elective Course 3
- Milk and Dairy Technology
- Product Development and Marketing
- Process from Research to Commercializing Technology
- Beverage Technology
- Technology of fruits and vegetables
- Fermentation-Based Technology
- Customer relationship management
- Management of business relationship
- Flavor Chemistry and Technology