Film studies regard video material in all its formats and platforms as vital art forms and cultural artifacts that can be rigorously analyzed. Explore the history, analysis, and interpretation of video as a key form of modern culture.
Develop a background in the theory and criticism of moving images to engender a deeper level of enjoyment while examining the technical, stylistic, and rhetorical devices that films employ to create and convey meaning. You'll also have the opportunity to create and showcase your own art in a top-of-the-line film studio.
You might enjoy Film Studies if you're interested in:
- Representations and explorations of identity in film and other visual media
- Writing your own scripts or filming your own YouTube videos
- Storytelling and creative writing
- Community arts
- The global language of film from German Expressionism to Fifth Generation Chinese cinema to U.S. blockbusters and more
- Anthropology and visual culture
- Advertising and marketing
Lawrentians sometimes pair film studies with...
- Art history
- English and creative writing
- Music performance
- Studio art
Life After Lawrence
Lawrentians can enjoy careers in...
Film production and photography, art direction, global media production, investigative journalism, digital content management, documentary film and television instruction, photo and film research, television and film scoring
Recent employers include...
NPR, BET, Fox News, Kirk Douglas Theater, Twin Cities Public Television, VICE, Facets Multimedia, Northwest Film Forum, The Film School Seattle
Lawrentians can earn advanced degrees in...
The film, fine arts, documentary, photography and new media
Recent schools include...
Northwestern University, Salt Institute for Documentary Studies
Create with amazing tools
Film Studies - You will have amazing tools at Lawrence. From a state-of-the-art 35x40 studio with green screen, DeSisti LED Fresnel lighting, Videssence softboxes ll controlled by DMX lightboard, to Canon 7D MKii cameras, Arri lighting kits, Sennheiser microphones and a Pro Tools mixing suite with the C24 control surface. Stock editing labs will help you prepare your work for screening in one of three small theatres and one large cinema
Build your knowledge of film theory and history
With a focus on history, analysis and creation of the film as a key medium of contemporary culture, you will develop a deep understanding of how filmmakers create images and explore the technical, stylistic and rhetorical devices that films employ to create and convey meaning—all of which you can integrate into your own filmmaking.
Components of the Major
- Introduction to Film Studies
- Film History I & II
- Film Theory and Criticism
- Avant-Documentary or Documentary Forms
Six courses from Film History, Film Theory, or Filmmaking, including:
- 16MM Filmmaking; Principles of Editing; Sound Design; Hollywood Goes to High School; Writer vs. Director; Masculinity in American Film; New Media in Art; Francophone and Lit & Screen Adaptations; Emergent Film/Media Markets Senior Experience project
The Chandler Senior Experience
Drawing on expertise not only in film studies, but also in the departments of anthropology, education, gender studies, history, languages, music, and studio art, Senior Experiences may be research-based or they may involve the production of film, video or animation.
Recent Senior Experiences include:
- Women in 20th Century Horror Films
- Avant-Garde in Animated Films
- Narrative-driven Virtual Reality
- Sustainable China: Exploring the Water and Pollution Epidemic
- Shocking Conduct: Sexual Assault, Masculinity, and Creed's Monstrous Feminine in Four Danish Films
- Nobody’s Perfect (full-length screenplay)
- Nollywood in Africa: Globalization of the Cinematic Nigerian Identity in Nigeria and Sierra Leone
- Coco Puffs (Short film and artist’s statement)
About the School
Lawrence University is a top-ranked private residential liberal arts college and conservatory of music that is devoted exclusively to undergraduate education. Located in the welcoming Midwestern the s ... Read More