Engineering at Messiah College
Become a technically competent, effective analytical thinker who creates real-world engineering solutions through our top-ranked, ABET-accredited Bachelor of Science in engineering degree (BSE) program.
Messiah is the only private Christian college in the country with an ABET-accredited undergraduate program that offers our unique mix of six types of engineering degree concentrations. You can choose to concentrate in biomedical engineering, civil engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, environmental engineering or mechanical engineering. And, for the past five years, Messiah College has been ranked as a “Best Undergraduate Engineering Program” in the U.S., by U.S. News and World Report. According to the 2017 rankings, Messiah was #55 out of 200 programs nationally.
Engineering degree program distinctives
- Work towards an ABET-accredited BSE degree concentration in biomedical, civil, computer, electrical, environmental or mechanical engineering.
- Learn to use powerful computer design tools such as SolidWorks, LabView, Multisim, Ultiboard and a microprocessor simulation package.
- Participate in the Integrated Projects Curriculum (IPC) in partnership with the Collaboratory which provides all engineering students with a five-semester sequence of credit-bearing opportunities to use what you learn in the classroom to solve authentic problems for local and international clients.
- Use state-of-the-art mechanical, electrical, environmental and biomedical engineering laboratories, as well as a professional machine shop and in-house circuit prototyping equipment.
- Work alongside other students in projects related to communications technology, assistance for disabled persons, sustainable energy, transportation technologies and water resources.
- Experiment with an automatic milling machine, manufacturing process lab, wind tunnel, machine shop, robotic assembly line, and even a biodiesel lab and solar power experimentation installation.
Engineering job options
As a graduate of the engineering program, students are equipped to secure positions such as:
- Design engineer
- Manufacturing engineer
- Electrical engineer
- Environmental engineer
- Software engineer
- Mechanical engineer
- Civil engineer
- Biomedical engineer
- Computer engineer
- Professional engineers
Internship and research opportunities for engineering majors
Messiah’s nationally recognized internship program places students in a variety of engineering internships. A few examples include:
- Phoenix Contact
- Oakland University, MI
- NREIP, an Office of Naval Research (O.N.R.)
- Hirschmann Automation and Control
- Bureau of Diplomatic Security / U.S. State Department
- Hershey Medical Research
- World Vision
- The Collaboratory
In addition, you’ll get to use our specialized facilities, including a professionally staffed machine shop; state-of-the-art mechanical, electrical, environmental and biomedical engineering labs; industry-standard engineering software, and in-house circuit prototyping equipment.
Hands-on engineering experience as a student
Beginning your second year, you’ll work on IPC projects that meet the needs of a real-world client. You’ll learn to engage problems in the broader context of environment, culture and economics and develop process, design, teamwork, leadership, project management and planning skills. This unique project integration affords you the opportunity to begin using your engineering skills right away, not only in Pennsylvania, but around the world. And when you finish your degree, you’ll walk into your first job with a complete project management and technical application experience.
To meet the engineering degree requirements, you’ll take 15 pre-engineering courses and eight upper-level engineering courses. Then, you’ll finish up the degree with nine courses in the biomedical, civil, computer, electrical, environmental or mechanical concentrations.
Continually recognized a top engineering degree program by U.S. News and World report, our engineering courses provide a balance of technical knowledge, broad education and Christian faith, in addition to you getting the opportunity to apply your knowledge to service projects in real, tangible ways through the College’s unique Integrated Projects Curriculum (IPC).
Messiah College offers several scholarships including the Provost’s and College Honors Programs Scholarships each with different academic requirements and deadlines. We must receive all application materials by January 15th for highest scholarship consideration.
International citizens may be awarded additional financial aid on a case-by-case basis using the information provided on the International Student Scholarship Application (ISSA). The link to the ISSA form is emailed to students along with their admissions decision letter. That means the sooner the admissions process is completed, the sooner students can apply for financial aid and receive a package.
After subtracting academic scholarship and financial aid monies, international students pay between US$20,000-$30,000 each year for four years. The U.S. Embassy will deny student visa requests if the student cannot show supporting financial documents to pay this amount for college expenses. This is a government rule, not college rule.
We can accept your application, official transcript and test score at any time during the year. You must select which term you would be entering. There are two intakes during each academic year - in late August for our Fall term, and late January for our Spring term.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 20, 2018